We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

leganés - madrid
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to spend 3 nights on our way from SF to LA.

One should be either in Monterey or Carmel where we'd spend one night and the other stop I just dont know..

I'd like somewhere nice and special, where we can relax for a couple of days and hopefully go for a swim at the beach or do some nature-orientated activities or even a hot air balloon ride..

Suggestions for accommodation are also welcome (nice, modern, charming, clean $100-200 range).

Gracias chavalería!

Karto

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

If you drive up the coast all the way (recommended since you have time) people often stay in Cambria on Moonraker Beach. Do a search here and you will find all kinds of recommendations.

Then it is usual to take a tour of William Randolph Hearst's Castle (do a search on Hearst Castle) which is on a hill with views of the ocean. This is nearby. You should make a reservation ahead of time for a morning tour.

On your way to Carmel/Monterey you can explore Big Sur. Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is 964 acres of coastal redwood and chaparral on the Big Sur River Lots of hiking trails. There is a restaurant high on a cliff north of this called Nepenthe which has beautiful views of the ocean. You have to watch for the sign, however.

I don't believe there is any hot air ballooning in this area. Too rugged. You need to go to the wine country north of San Francisco for this.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Moonraker
Moonraker
280 Reviews
Pacifica, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Pfeiffer Big Sur State...
642 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
438 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Nepenthe
Nepenthe
2,921 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

kartofeliano «I'm planning to spend 3 nights on our way from SF to LA.»

I recommend one night as does the Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz-Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San Luís Obispo, Yosemite, Los Angeles, and San Diego geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html

One night I'd spend in Monterey, Carmel, or Pacific Grove.

A second night I'd spend at the Madonna Inn in San Luís Obispo.

A third night I'd spend in Santa Barbara.

Other choices could be Santa Cruz, Pismo Beach, Santa María.

Tomando tanto tiempo para el viaje es algo hecho por poca gente. Te felicito.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Pacifica
Pacifica
California
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
leganés - madrid
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Gracias SwingCha por tus consejos.

would you say Santa Barbara - Las Vegas could be done in one day -seeing something in Los Ángeles very briefly of course? (we could spend one night in LA if necessary)

after that it'd probably be Mammouth lake / Yosemite

and finally Lake Tahoe or even Reno

Is Lake Tahoe that impressive, and a must see?

Of these nature opcions which one would you rule out?

Do you think it'll be too much driving and very little time to see things if we follow this itinerary below?

SF - 5 nights

Monterey / Carmel - 1 ngt

San Luis Obispo - 1 ngt

Santa Barbara - 1ntg

LA - 1 ngt

Las Vegas - 1 ngt

Mammouth lakes - 1 ngt

Reno / Lake Tahoe 1 ngt

Pls dont be afraid to suggest whatever amendments on it

¡Vamos que nos vamos!

karto

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

kartofeliano «Gracias SwingCha por tus consejos.»

Pagué lo que ganaste.

«would you say Santa Barbara - Las Vegas could be done in one day»

Yes. Go to Telephone Road in Ventura that eventually gets to a highway that'll get you there.

« -seeing something in Los Ángeles very briefly of course?»

You could pass through Malibu and take Sunset Boulevard all the way downtown. It's a nice drive. Or you could turn left on La Brea and right on Hollywood Boulevard for the part of it you'd like to see.

«after that it'd probably be Mammouth lake / Yosemite

and finally Lake Tahoe or even Reno»

All worth-while but not on the way to Las Vegas. But you can get there easily from Reno.

«Is Lake Tahoe that impressive, and a must see?»

Many think so. I prefer it in Winter with all the snow but it's lovely any time one's there.

«Of these nature opcions which one would you rule out?»

Tahoe and/or Mammoth.

«Do you think it'll be too much driving and very little time to see things if we follow this itinerary below?

«SF - 5 nights

«Monterey / Carmel - 1 ngt

«San Luis Obispo - 1 ngt

«Santa Barbara - 1ntg

«LA - 1 ngt

«Las Vegas - 1 ngt

«Mammouth lakes - 1 ngt

«Reno / Lake Tahoe 1 ngt

«Pls dont be afraid to suggest whatever amendments on it»

The distances are enormous. You'd spend MUCH more time on The Road than anywhere else. Not that it isn't beautiful but it isn't being somewhere.

Skp a night in Monterey, San Luís Obispo, or Santa Barbara and a night in Mammoth Lakes. In fact, consider not going to Las Vegas and then you'll be able t'do the rest.

La verdad es que quieres hacer demasiado. Será mejor si vienes por mas tiempo.

«¡Vamos que nos vamos!»

¡Orale!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Ventura
Ventura
California
Malibu
Malibu
California
Sunset Boulevard
Sunset Boulevard
585 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood Boulevard
1,785 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
leganés - madrid
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

¡Gracias otra vez socio! I think will just discard tahoe/reno and one night on the central coast (is san luis obispo any better than santa barbara?). otherwise we could spend the night somewhere off the beaten track past san luis obispo.

i dont really care about going to las vegas but i do want to see the death valley and since we'll be that close.. why not spend the night in las vegas after all..

ahh by the way, i found one hot air ballooning company in mammoth lakes that offer 1hr rides for only $165 pp.

would you recommend that? is the scenery worth the forking out? i'd like to surprise my mother with that and if the location is very nice, that's it.

¡Hala Madrid mil veces!

Kartofel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Clarification: Turning on La Brea to Hollywood is from Sunset Boulevard, not the Pacific Coast Highway.

kartofeliano «I think will just discard tahoe/reno and one night on the central coast»

Good idea.

«(is san luis obispo any better than santa barbara?).»

Santa Barbara is one of the loveliest towns on Earth. San Luís Obispo is nice, too, but it's less urban. Each has a mission and a worth-seeing movie palace. Santa Barbara's mission is considered to be the nicest of all and its County Courthouse is a must-see! There are tours, gratis. It also has a very nice museum of art.

«i dont really care about going to las vegas but i do want to see the death valley and since we'll be that close.. why not spend the night in las vegas after all..»

If you insist but there's another option:

You can leave the Mojave Highway (15) at Baker to go through Death Valley to Lone Pine thus skipping Las Vegas that would add at least another two hundred, perhaps three hundred, miles to the trip.

«ahh by the way, i found one hot air ballooning company in mammoth lakes that offer 1hr rides for only $165 pp.

would you recommend that? is the scenery worth the forking out?»

My overflyings of that part of the world've been thousands of feet higher than a balloon goes. My guess is that it would be a spectacular ride. My balloon ride was over farmland and I loved it.

«¡Hala Madrid mil veces!»

Caló español inconocido aquí. Pues, inconocido a mi.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Baker Beach
Baker Beach
779 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Just be sure to check out the Madonna Inn's website and look at their rooms BEFORE booking there. Swingcha is into that eccentric stuff!! Not my idea of relaxing, unless you like hot pinks,hot greens, hot yellows, etc.

I second Cambria as a relaxing place to enjoy the coast. With your price range, you might try one of the areas B&B's, such as the Olallieberry Inn, J. Patrick House or Squibb House. I believe there are hot air balloon rides available in the nearby town of Paso Robles, which is a popular wine tasting region of California.

If you want something further down the road, Pismo Beach has a terrific beach area with much to offer. Unless you're passing through after October 1, your price range may be difficult. However, I would recommend looking at Kon Tiki Inn, which sits on a bluff overlooking the beach. They have rates compatible with your price range. Other really nice hotels to relax include the Cottage Inn, Shelter Cove Lodge, or Shore Cliff Inn, although their rates are higher.

Nearby to Pismo is Sycamore Mineral Springs where you can rent a hot tub and enjoy a relaxing soak within a wooded hillside area. You'll want to reserve a spot if you go at night. It's very popular locally.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Olallieberry Inn
Olallieberry Inn
379 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
California
California
United States
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Kon Tiki Inn
Kon Tiki Inn
778 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Shore Cliff Hotel
Shore Cliff Hotel
2,447 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Hi

I also would vote for Cambria, Morro Bay or Pismo Beach over a stay in San Luis Obispo. Nothing wrong with SLO and my wife liked it for shopping, but I would want to be near the beach on a trip like this and we've stayed in Kon Tiki and Best Western Shore Cliff in Pismo Beach and liked it. In Morro Bay I can recommend Blue Sail Inn. Nice rooms with balconies and views (not all).

As stated you could bypass Las Vegas by taking ca127 from Baker and 178 from Soshone which leads into Death Valley and along places like Badwater, Devils Golf Course and Artist Drive. I would recommend a one night stay in Death Valley. (www.xanterra.com).

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
Kon Tiki Inn
Kon Tiki Inn
778 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Shore Cliff Hotel
Shore Cliff Hotel
2,447 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Blue Sail Inn
Blue Sail Inn
335 Reviews
Morro Bay, CA
Baker Beach
Baker Beach
779 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Badwater
Badwater
2,394 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Kibblesmom «the Madonna Inn's …. Swingcha is into that eccentric stuff!!»

Perhaps. But I think it's a place that oughta be seen regardless of one's taste.

«Not my idea of relaxing, unless you like hot pinks,hot greens, hot yellows, etc.»

Dif'rent strokes . . .

leganés - madrid
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for 2 stops on Central Coast

Thanks everyone for your excellent and detailed advice!!

SwingCha your are a legend in this forum so dont take anything personal, it wouldnt be the same without your colourful and funny comments.

¡Hala Madrid Mil Veces! is some kind of a phrase used in football supporters circles meaning Long live Real Madrid a thousand times! hahaha, dont mind me anyways haha

Cheers everyone!!

kartofel

One more thing and I'll be ready to book the remainder, would you really recommend me renting a mustang convertible even though we'll have to carry one large suitcase on the rear seats or youre seriously risking getting mugged? This might be my only ever chance to drive one of this amazing cars..

Gracias!!

;