We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area for 3 days

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
397 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Which area for 3 days

Four 50+ (young at heart) coming to San Francisco in August. Which area would locals advise us to to stay in, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square West, Union Square East Or Embercado. Will be looking for 4*.

Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area for 3 days

Ladies looking for a 4star or better hotels -- World-renowned, The Fairmont San Francisco presents an awe-inspiring picture of historic San Francisco. The grandeur of the fully-restored hotel coupled with its reputation for impeccable service promises a truly memorable experience. The recently completed restoration of the hotel is highlighted by the re-emergence of the Main Lobby as a grand public space. Each of the hotel's spacious guestrooms and suites were also redecorated in elegant style.

Central to the Financial District, Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf, The Fairmont San Francisco is located at the only spot in San Francisco where each of the City's cable car lines meet. In addition to its 591 guestrooms and suites, the hotel also offers two fabulous restaurants and lounges, With a panoramic view of the City and the Bay from high atop Nob Hill, The Fairmont San Francisco holds an unmatched blend of elegance and superb service for an unforgettable stay. While the Hyatt Regency is nice it does not have this character. The Kimpton Hotel group has nice hotels as well, but I personnally like the Fairmont!

Kent UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area for 3 days

We are the same age and recently returned from SF. Fishermans Wharf is very tourist tacky. OK for a short visit or with kids but otherwise I would advise you to stay in the Union Square area - much more convenient. We stayed at the Orchard (2 minutes walk from Union Square on Bush St). We really liked it - nice sized rooms well furnished, friendly, good free continental breakfast. Suggest you read the reviews of the hotels on this site, but the Orchard has got consistently good reviews. We got a good rate by booking direct with the hotel If you are members of AA you can ask them for the AAA rate - which is normally 10% cheaper.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area for 3 days

The Fairmont is indeed one of the premier hotels in the City but a bit removed from some of the shopping and tourist activities since it is at the top of the fairly steep Nob Hill.

I think a better choice would be the Union Square area, Fishermans Wharf is way too touristy.

My favourite hotel is the Palace on New Montgomery St. (www.sfpalace.com) We spent our wedding night there so I might be a little biased but it is absolutely beautiful. Check out their virtual tour of the Garden Court. The Palace is about a 5 minute walk east of Union Square.

Another choice is the Westin St. Francis which is right on Union Square.

If you have a car beware of parking fees, about $35 a day. Also beware of the 10% hotel tax which is in addition to the advertised rate.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area for 3 days

The Sir Francis Drake and the Chancellor are also great choices and just a 1/2 block north of Union Square and right on the Powell Street Cable Car line. They are a less expensive than the Palace or the Westin St. Francis but lack the pool and some of the other ammenities.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area for 3 days

Four of us 40 somethings went to Sf together and stayed at the Mark Hopkins across the street from the Fairmont. I think it's a great location. We walked down Powell (laughing all the way at how steep it was and how pitiful we were at walking it). After lunch at Kuletos we took the cable car to Fisherman's Warf where we missed our ferry to Sausalito so we walked to North Beach through Chinatown and then back up to Nob Hill. Again we were laughing so hard at the steepness and our pitiful attempts at climbing the amazing hills.

Fairmont is a beautiful place. Stop in at the Tonga Room for a fun time over drinks. Good music good atmosphere. Good view from the Top of the Mark for early evening drinks.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area for 3 days

Your message says you are looking for 4 * but I think some of the places recommended here may not meet that standard.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area for 3 days

Union Square West