We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

My hubby and I are planning a last minute trip to SF; I'm 7 months pregnant and so don't want to walk long distances to public transportation from our hotel but would like quick and easy access to the BART (without paying more than $125 per night). Any ideas? Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Hi Winterfyre,

I just booked a room at the Chancellor Hotel directly through Wes Tyler the GM and he gave me a great deal within the budget you stated. I understand it's 4 uphill blocks from BART to the Chancellor so I decided to book with the shuttle company that the hotel recommends, Lorrie's Shuttle service. It's only $14 per person.

Not too much more than BART and will drop you off right at the hotel.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
2. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Being near BART is really only beneficial to come and go from the airports or East Bay. Other than that, BART is used minimally for public transit AROUND the City. BART is mostly used by commuters to go in and out of the City or outer parts of the City like the Mission, Glen Park, etc.

That said, the Hotel Whitcomb* is in your budget most of the year. They are located on Market Street with a BART entrance right outside the front doors. Depending on when you come to visit, you may find a rate in your budget at the Hyatt Regency, Palace or even the Westin Market Street which are also very close to BART.

*not that I am recommending it, but it does meet your criteria

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Just about every downtown or Wharf hotel is close to some kind of public transit. As Wes said, BART is a regional system that you would take to or from the airport or the suburbs, but Muni (the Municipal Railway) runs buses, Metro trains (subway and surface), historic streetcars, and the famous cable cars within the City.

Public transit is just a few steps from anything near Union Square, Nob Hill, on or near Market Street, at the Embarcadero, or at the Wharf.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

P.S. The Whitcomb is a beautiful old landmark from the early 20th century, which served as a temporary City Hall after the 1906 earthquake and fire. It is a very grand place that must have served an elite clientele 75 years ago. It is also near the performing arts locations like opera, symphony, ballet, and theatre, the main library, and the Asian Art Museum.

It has the advantage of a BART station, Muni Metro, and many bus lines right at the doorstep.

Sadly, the area around it has deteriorated and many people don't feel comfortable there. San Francisco has been unable to equal New York, with a population maybe 12 times larger, in coping with the issues of people on the streets who cannot or will not live independent, functional lives. The entire 3-4 blocks of Market from about 6th to 9th or 10th, and nearby blocks of Mission and near Civic Center, are not places we suggest tourists walk around at night alone. You can stay in the hotels, but walking out to dine, shop, or sightsee is a challenge even in the daytime. The incessant panhandling, drunkenness, sidewalk toilet behavior or other offensive conduct, and dirty streets are a civic disgrace. City Hall is only a few blocks away, but for all the effect City programs have had on this problem, the mayor may as well live in Newfoundland.

Local folks regret having to give visitors this kind of info. I'm sorry for business owners or employees who just want a chance to make a living, and see customers walk away because they want their vacation to be a positive and enjoyable experience.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,575 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Roadrunner is right on. The Whitcomb is not in a pleasant area of the city anymore. I would feel extremely uncomfortable there, especially coming back at night after dinner.

san francisco
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

I live in SF and while I have never stayed at the Chancelor folks who have indicate that is okay...something which is supported by the reviews here. It is close to bart but slightly uphill..but not a real hill.

its $5.15 a person on bart to the powells stop. I would check out the major hotels in market street around there (marriotts and westins) for deals...but that may be hard.

Whitcomb area should be avoided.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,575 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

Do try the Chancellor. Its location and reasonable price and helpful staff are a plus, and you are only three blocks from BART.

8. Re: Reasonable Hotels close to BART?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, September 04, 2009