We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip from Monterey.

Lake Arrowhead,Ca.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
A day trip from Monterey.

We are traveling from Monterey to San Francisco for the day. I need some advice as to what to see/do while we're there for only the day and also, where to park. We are thinking Union Square and the Fisherman's Wharf would be a good start. We have our 7 yr old traveling with us, so we need places that will keep him entertained. He would love to ride on a cable car. I'm not sure where to start. First timers!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,870 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,996 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

Two days in San Francisco is like two days in, say, Paris - Dave Hatunen

So you're going to spend at least four hours on The Road driving no fewer 250 miles to hop a cable car to The Wharf to see some sea lions, if they're here, at Pier 39 and take a ride on the carrousel and maybe have a snack.

From The Wharf you can go to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Maybe visit the Wave Organ at Yacht Harbor. Then run over to Children's Playground at Golden Gate Park, visit Haight-Ashbury making your way to Mission Dolores when it will be time to have another snack and think about pointing the car toward Monterey. That will fill about seven hours from your departure from Monterey.

Just 'cause it's "doable" doesn't mean it should be done. - George Max

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
The Wharf Inn
The Wharf Inn
948 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
42,919 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Wave Organ
The Wave Organ
76 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,547 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Haight-Ashbury
Haight-Ashbury
1,233 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Mission Dolores
Mission Dolores
260 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Lake Arrowhead,Ca.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

Thanks, Swingcha! What about the car? Should we take the car to a garage? or are there other options?

Thanks soooo much for your helpful advice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

http://www.zeum.org/visitor/zeumCarousel.html

http://calacademy.org tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d11…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k139784…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d10…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

There's a parking structure on Fisherman's Wharf right across from Pier 39. It'll cost you to park there, but it'll cost you no matter where you park in the city. Pier 39 has lots of shops, a merry-go-round, an arcade, restaurants. etc. to keep you and your 7 year old busy. The cable cars can be found at Victorian Park on the other end of FW. Be prepared for a LONG wait. You might want to pass on the cable cars if the lines are long.... and they always are, especially in summer. Take a drive over to the Golden Gate Bridge instead and hand out at the fort. That would be fun to me if I were 7.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,996 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
42,919 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lake Arrowhead,Ca.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

Thanks everyone!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

sandra215 asked «What about the car? Should we take the car to a garage?»

Although I wouldn't take the car to a garage, there are other options. I would use the car to follow th 49-mile Scenic Drive signs. There are two maps of it on The FLAG/MAPS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…FlagMaps.html has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, the outstanding WALKER/BICYCLIST map that shows the steepness of our streets. The new version of the formerly superb map created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway has removed many streets' names making it less useful. It's cluttered with our many bus, cable car, street car, and bus routes. There is also a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

I'm preparing a written description of the route but it's not finished.

«or are there other options?»

Also on that page is information about our excellent public transportation.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,547 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: A day trip from Monterey.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 31, 2009