We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather!

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Weather!

I know no one can predict the weather etc but I was wondering if I need to bring warm clothes.

We are coming on Thursday and the weather forecast looks similar to the UK but I was talking to someone and they said it gets really cold even at this time of year.

As we are going to Vegas and LA as well, I don't want to have to bulk my suitcase up with warm clothes if it isn't necessary.

Will a couple of sweaters and jeans be ok?

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
PIER 39 Attraction Pass
30 Reviews
from $95.00*
$139.93
Special Offer
Aquarium of the Bay General Admission
13 Reviews
from $22.75*
$26.95
18 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,649 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather!

It gets foggy and cold especially during the late evening and into the night. And windy near the water. Everyone is different when it comes to tolerance so check temperature lows and decide if a sweater is good enough for you or you can Always purchase a I love SF Hoodie here

Edited: 8:30 am, July 16, 2018
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather!

Thank you.

I do feel the cold so will come prepared!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather!

“Really cold” to me means 5C, which never ever happens in San Francisco in summer. The coldest it gets overnight in summer is around 12C. To me that means a light jacket or hoodie, but certainly not a parka or gloves. Just wear layers and you’ll be fine. It can easily get well above 20C during the day depending on the neighborhood (the hills create many microclimates) and you’ll be sweating in heavy cold weather gear. And go inland just a few miles and it’s often 30C+.

Edited: 9:00 am, July 16, 2018
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather!

Those "I Love SF" hoodies are cheap and surprisingly warm. They're sold everywhere around Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and pretty much any downtown Walgreens. No need to pack the ski gear.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,615 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,492 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather!

The last few weeks its been cool in the morning/afternoon, pretty nice during the day. Ive been wearing shorts a flip flops usually with a hoody (not an I love SF hoody) every day recently. This weekend when you are here it looks like maybe 70's so definitely shorts weather at least during the day.

Edited: 9:16 am, July 16, 2018
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather!

Our usual summer weather pattern -- fog that doesn't burn off until the afternoon or evening in the westernmost parts of the City -- has been in full force these past several days.

So to the extent possible, explore sites in the east early in the day and save places nearer the coast for later in the afternoon. For example, I've found the sun pops out in force around the DeYoung Museum and Japanese Tea Garden around 2 to 3 PM.

Edited: 9:57 am, July 16, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Japanese Tea Garden
Japanese Tea Garden
3,022 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather!

>>Will a couple of sweaters and jeans be ok?<<<

yup. it's been nice midday as said already but it is cool in AM and when sun goes down. Also much cooler if the winds are blowing. make sure you have closed toed shoes.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather!

Thanks all.

I wasn’t planning on bringing ski gear or heavy coats and gloves, I just didn’t want to pack bulky sweaters if they weren’t needed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather!

We were in GG Park all yesterday afternoon and I brought a jacket which I really didn't need because we left before it got too late and I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans. We left around 4:30 and the fog was starting to roll in. We had a perfect view of sutro tower at 3:40 but by the time we left we could only make it out faintly through the fog moving in.

Jeans and sweaters work fine, imo. The cold gets played up here and it is real, but not winter-like cold, more like very cool, but with conditions that pull heat away from your body very efficiently if you don't have a little insulation. Sometimes damp and cool (fog) or windy and cool or both.

It varies by location and day. You might not need a sweater or jacket all the time, but they're good to have in case you do need it.

I very, very rarely need gloves, hat, scarf, sweater and a jacket as I've seen some people say they need, but it comes down to your tolerance for cool weather, staying warm and warming up again if you get a bit chilly.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather!

Yup just layers. We were in the Mission most of the afternoon and it was T shirt weather. Probably could have worn shorts but we were in long pants. By evening it was cool enough for a hoodie/jumper. It looks nice this weekend.

My friends in LA were at the beach or in the pool all weekend. Had another friend at Vegas and they were either in the pool/lazy river or inside. It is scorching in Vegas now but you can manage. We have been in the summer and it's manageable.

Speaking of the fog and marine layer, my husband had been hiking Mission Peak at Fremont most weekends near sunrise the past few months. This was the first time he had been above the clouds at the peak. Very cool.

Edited: 10:39 am, July 16, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Fremont
Fremont
California
Reply to: Weather!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted