We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trollies and Cable cars

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trollies and Cable cars

We will be renting a car while in San Fransisco but I'm wondering, on the days we are doing site seeing in the city, will we be able to use the cable cars and trollies as a means of transportation. We are going to China Town, pier 39,haight asbury, aLcatraz,to name a few. Any suggestions welcome.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
31 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

Cable cars typically aren't great for getting around as there can be long lines to get on them and they only go to a very limited number of areas.

A car is not recommended for visiting San Francisco. Parking is very expensive, traffic can be bad, there are steep hills and an epidemic of car break-ins.

Use public transport to get around, like most locals!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

Don't rent a car while in the city. If you have plans for a day trip outside, rent the car for just the day you'll want it.

Chinatown, North Beach, Pier 39 and the Alcatraz Pier are walking distance. (Chinatown and North Beach abut one another, the Wharf is about a mile from North Beach.) Downtown to the Haight is via either the 6-Haight/Parnassus or 7-Haight/Noriega buses. Catch either at marked bus stops on Market Street. If you check the Top Questions there is one with directions to lots of sights using buses using Union Square as the starting point.

Mentioned in this post
North Beach
North Beach
264 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Wharf Inn
The Wharf Inn
948 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Market Street
Market Street
512 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,870 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

our hotel offers free parking and the car is cheap. we are also planning on heading out to a 49ers game

Edited: 10:42 pm, June 10, 2018
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

thanks!

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

Are you planning on driving to the 49ers game?

California
Level Contributor
542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

trollies,or street cars.go on market street and into the sunset neighborhood,Noe Valley and to the zoo,also the sunset. cable cars just travel in the city,to Hyde street pier,fisherman's wharf and up california street.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

Jackmuk, why do you keep asking for advice on here? You just ignore all the advice you are given... Did you read #19 at the link below? Are you a troll?

https:/…92429259

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

People need to stop being so offended when someone decides not to follow their advice. I also told jackmuk not to drive to Levi's Stadium, but if (s)he wants to do it, they have that right.

Mentioned in this post
Levi's Stadium
Levi's Stadium
799 Reviews
Santa Clara, CA
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,794 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

>>our hotel offers free parking and the car is cheap<<

The car may be 'cheap', but it's not free; you're paying for the car to sit at the hotel while you're paying to use public transportation. And if you decide to use that car for your SF sightseeing, you'll very quickly be frustrated by driving our one-way streets that go straight up and down hills (and occasionally dead-end into one of those hills!). And when you try to find street parking, you'll find it's virtually non-existent in the areas of our major attractions. Or you can only stay 2 hours, because that's the limit of the parking meter (and you can't feed the meter to get another 2 hours, you must search for another parking spot). Or even worse, you come back to the car to find it's been broken into, because someone left a jacket on the back seat and a bad guy thought there might be something worth stealing. And using a parking garage can cost from $2-10/hour, so that's more money you're spending on that 'cheap' car deal.

For about the same price as the car (or less), you can take a lot of Lyft/taxi/Uber rides in a day!! (Let alone public transportation...)

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trollies and Cable cars

I know some people advised against driving to the stadium but we have decided we are going to do it and we do realize we will be stuck in traffic if we do.

We are using the car to get to the game and to go to Mier woods for sure.

Because the game is on Sunday we figfured we would get it when we leave airport on Saturdayand have it for the game on Sunday and to go to Meir woods on Monday.

I was asking about the trolleys and cable cars for all the attractions in town we are going to. We will not be using the car to get to those attractions and we are ok with that.

Also I was looking at taxi costs and it looks like it would be about 60 dollars to get to the hotel we are staying at from the airport and 60 dollars back to airport. If we have a car we will save on taxi costs.

Im sorry if I keep asking for advice. Like I said in one of my first post......

We always go to All lInclusive resorts out of the country so this kind of vacation is out of the norm for us.

Reply to: Trollies and Cable cars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted