We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Flags Marine World

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Six Flags Marine World

How easy is it to drive to Marine World from Fishermans Wharf area for someone from the UK, who is not used to the area or roads. Is it easy to find or likely to get lost? Is Paramount Great America an easier trip? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Super easy. Just go east on 80 till you get to Vallejo. Follow the signs. Avoid morning commute hours.

We also had a great visit to GA last year in June, a weekday at the end of June. No crowds there and great weather.

London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Thanks for that - may even brave the roads and do both.

san jose ca
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Hello,

For Marine World you would need to cross the Bay Bridge. It's about a 45 minute trip. For Great America you would get on Hwy 101 and drive South until you get to Great America Parkway in Santa Clara (about the same amount of time in terms of driving). It would be really hard to get lost going to Great America because you can see the Park from the freeway.

A lot of it depends on why you are interested in Marine World. If you want to see the animals, you would need to go there. If you are after thrill rides, then Great America definitely has those, along with a water park.

I work for Great America, so if you have any specific questions, let me know. Here is our web site: www.pgathrills.com

Kat

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Maybe things have changed in the past 3 years, but my grandkids found Marine World to be a "yawn". It just didn't have the sparkle we expected.

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Hi Kat

Is The Great America Park similar to Universal & Disney

and do you need a car to get there from San Francisco?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Kat can tell you more, but I wouldn't comapre it to Disneyland- more like Magic Mountain, in other words, a big park with tons of thrill rides. It's a fun day, esp. if you have kids of an age where they like the scary roller coasters. They also have a water park there now.

It's possible to get there without a car- there is an AMTRAK train that runs there from Oakland or Emeryville. You can get to the train station by ferry from SF, or probably by AMTRAK bus shuttle as well. You could check out the AMTRAK web site for better information.

For Marine World, I believe there is a special Vallejo ferry from SF that has a bus connection to the park, but I don't know specifics on that.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Six Flags Marine World

San Jose's Lightrail goes right to Great America. You can take CalTrain From San Francisco (near SBC Park) to a stop near a light rail stop. I know that you can tranfer in Downtown San Jose but they have extended the line a ridiculous amount since I have lived there so there must be a faster easier transfer point.

So Kat, why did they take out the roller coaster Stealth? It was only there for about 2 years and then it was gone. That was the BEST roller coaster I had ever been on. For those of you who never saw it, riding it was like flying, your whole body faced the ground as your back rode on the track.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Marine World is pretty easy to get to from SF. I would think the Golden Gate Bridge, 101 to HWY 37 which goes right to Marine World be easier and less freeway. In my opinion, I think Marine World is superior to Great America. All Great America has is rides, they used to have lots of shows, but most were gone the last time we were there. We were ready to go in 2 hrs. Marine World has animal shows, with elephants, tigers, birds, ski shows, butterfly world, etc, plus rides. For adults who don't want rides, I think it is a better tour.

san jose ca
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six Flags Marine World

Hi Everyone,

Some of the transportation questions have been answered. Yes, you can take the train to Santa Clara but I don't believe you can get light rail at the Santa Clara station, you would most likely get on a bus to take you to the park. It's not too far, though.

Suzie, I'm glad to know that you had a good time and you brought up an excellent point, which is visitors can usually count on very nice weather down our way.

I'm sorry that the other post (IG) was not as pleased. PGA still does have shows, our newest one will be "School of Rock" which will open next month.

Gordy Pordy,MacJack is right. PGA is more comparable to Magic Mountain than Disneyland. We concentrate on thrill rides. Although all ages come and enjoy the park, a lot of the attractions are not for the faint of heart :)

Jayca, the Stealth rollercoaster was removed to make way for Boomerang Bay. It now resides at one of our sister parks in North Carolina.

Kat

san jose ca
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Six Flags Marine World

One more thing. Macjack is also right about amtrack. If you take amtrack, then you stop right near the park and you can get light rail or even hoof it. But if you catch Caltrain near SBC, then you don't have the light rail option.