We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,623 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

Excerpt from this article

"I walked with the cadets around Fisherman’s Wharf on Monday morning. Just about every car we walked past had something visible inside, including phone chargers, shopping bags and, in one case, a bright-red backpack.

Sgt. Nelson Ramos, who runs the cadet program, said he can’t believe what he sees in parked cars: purses left on front seats, iPads left in cars with the windows rolled down, piles of luggage sitting inside just waiting to be snatched.

“A lot of people come from the airport and want to see the sights real quick. We say, ‘Way a minute. Someone’s going to break into the car,’” Nelson said. “We’re opening people’s eyes.”

The cadets stopped to talk to a German couple and their 11-year-old son. Ramos told them to hide their phone chargers in their glove compartment rather than leave them plugged in and visible."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Wha…

22 replies to this topic
LA
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

And the Union Square parking lot thieves are cruising the parking looking for visible goods -especially shopping bags in the car and out of state license plates and rental cars. That's how my car was broken into.

The parking garages will take NO RESPONSIBILITY at all on this and this is just not a high priority for police.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Edited: 10:32 am, April 03, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,907 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,452 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

Interesting about phone chargers. I always have one in my car plugged in but when I park I try to remember to have the end setting on the passenger seat so its obvious that nothing is connected to it,.

Level Contributor
2,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

I see the same thing even in outer neighborhoods. I went to walk the 16th Ave steps and we walked east of Grandview Park. This is not a touristy area but I don't know how many cars I saw with chargers hanging out of their outlets.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

Authorities need to address the main pinch point where ALL folks renting cars hear this information.....the rental agencies.

As part of the registering process at all SFO agencies it should be required that all renters be informed if this issue.

It can only help.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

I was typing at the same time GoodBeer was. I wouldn't leave a charger visible because a thief may well think the device is in the glove compartment or door pocket.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,012 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

I don't leave anything electrical, even if it's just some kind of detached cable, visible in the car.

The one time my car was ever broken into (in Redwood City,) all that was taken was a ratty, old gym bag, and they dumped everything out of it before they took it. So it doesn't take much to get someone to break into your car.

Edited: 11:19 am, April 03, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Redwood City
Redwood City
California
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

The son of a friend of ours is a cop in SF and he recently told us he always puts his phone charger away in the glove box. We thought that was overkill, but obviously not.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,007 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

Having once had a car window smashed in SF, whilst parked in the indoor hotel parking lot, for a half eaten packet of Ritz crackers, I assume by some junky or vagrant, I can believe anything!

Edited: 12:20 pm, April 03, 2018
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,436 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

I remember when GPS systems first came out, you were warned not to leave the unit (or the cord/holder) visible when parked.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
246 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ

What about parking garages - are they generally safe?

I am staying at the Le Meridien - where parking is the bargain price of $70 a night. I've been told that I'll be able to park for 1/2 that in a parking garage right across from the hotel. Is one of these options safer than the other? I'm concerned because my car will be packed with items (boogie boards, beach chairs, cooler, etc) that I would rather leave in the car than take up to a hotel room for a 2-night stay. (I'll be in the middle of a 3-week road trip so not having a car is not an option.)

Reply to: Car Break-ins in SF -- Visitors with CARS PLEASE READ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted