We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gary Danko restaurant good or bad???

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Gary Danko restaurant good or bad???

Hi,

Will be in San Fran in late July for the very first time. Im looking for a really good restaurant to take my girlfriend to. Ive heard this restaurant is very good. Has anyone been? Can anyone tell me what its like? Also if anybody could suggest any other nice restaurants to go to that would be great. We are staying at the Argonaut near pier 39.

Thanks

sacramento
Level Contributor
2 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gary Danko restaurant good or bad???

Gary Danko can be great, but is always very expensive. If you are looking for dress up, expensive, fussy food, hard to beat. For more of a SF crowd try Town Hall, noisy with a Cajun influence. Also Foreign Cinema, a standby that rarely fails to please. The two later do not require a jacket. Another very fine restaurant, more formal, is the restaurant at the Campton Place Hotel. Hotel restaurants are rarely worth a trip, this is an exception. Classic French.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gary Danko restaurant good or bad???

Tubbsy

We went to Gary Danko in November. We loved it, the service was FABULOUS and the food wonderful. Puts me in mind of the Mirabellle (but way smaller). I thought the staff were wonderful and will definately go back. We had 3 courses , champagne to start and a bottle of wine i guess it was around $300 WELL WORTH IT.

Another really good resturant that we were recommended was Dragon well on chesnut, very very good value $50!! upscale chinese in a great neighbourhood.

Enjoy SF we loved it.

Asha

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gary Danko restaurant good or bad???

Danko is excellent food. Foreign Cinema is a fun scene but the food is below average. Delfina's on 18th Street has great food and Green's is a lovely place for something that you won't find in many other cities (gourmet vegetarian with a breath taking view, esp. at sunset).

Fleur de Lys is a romantic treat if you are into classic French and Boulevard has great CA cuisine, at a price.

One of my personal favorites is on Polk Street. The name escapes me at this moment...fresh seafood served at a marble counter top, open lunch only and tres authentic. Oh yes, Swan's Oyster Depot. Heaven on earth during crab season....