We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

What is the cost for either taxi, Uber or other? 4 adults...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

See the top question on the right of the page titled 'BART, Cab, Shuttle to Union Square/Downtown/Moscone Center hotels (May 2016)

Taxi will be in the region of $50. Uber will usually be a bit cheaper, depending on surge pricing. BART will be just under $10 per person.'

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

Thank you :)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

I'll add that the nearest BART Station to the hotel is Montgomery and the total walk will be a short block or so.

With 4 people the BART fare will be close to $40, so I might pay the little extra & go with a cab for the convenience of door-to-door service. That said, if you're arriving during a high traffic period, BART might be the way to go as it will be a little over 30 minutes station to station regardless of traffic and if there is any kind of traffic issue, the cab could be that long (or longer?). If it's an off traffic time, the cab should be quicker than BART (but only by 10 minutes or so).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

Take the #292 SanTrans bus for $2.25 from lower terminal 2. cross two traffic lanes to island

Easy as pie.

Door to almost door service to Palace in Financial District.

Not a bad ride. All safe. 50 minutes ride on bus.

Right by Luggage pickup for SW

samtrans.com/schedulesandmaps/…292.html

You want stop F

SF Airport

Courtyard A

Edited: 5:00 pm, April 12, 2017
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

@TOM568956 - This is the second post today where you've recommended the #292. Even SamTrans' own schedule has the duration of this journey at almost an hour and a half. On a city bus. With luggage. In my opinion this is bad advice to be giving to tourists.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

There's no way I'd take a Samtrans or Muni bus from SFO to downtown.

sf
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
7. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

No way would I rake Sam Trans from SFO to downtown with any luggage, unless I was flat broke. Take UBER/WINGZ or BART.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

jrcDublin I just took the samtrans 292 a few weeks ago. I thought it was great. solo The ride from terminal 2 is 50/60 minutes to Mission and 7th street. Be sure you are reading schedule correctly. Getting to Bart is a half mile walk within airport

for those arriving on SW, Delta, american Airlines. Look I am retired and came with a large suitcase and backpack and had no trouble. They may choose cab/Uber for convenience. But Bart is more trouble to their destination.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

Hi Tom. A few points, firstly the OP is staying at the Palace which is at 2nd, five long SOMA blocks past Mission and 7th (I would never recommend any tourist stay at Mission and 7th either!)

Secondly, BART leaves from the international terminal at SFO, this terminal is connected to all other terminals by the AirtTrain which will take five minutes.

Thirdly, BART takes less than 30 minutes to get to Powell St and it is capable of handling passengers with luggage.

No way is BART more trouble from SFO to downtown than a SamTrans bus.

Edited: 6:38 pm, April 12, 2017
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: SFO to Palace Hotel transportation?

Hi jrcdublin, there is a stop at 2nd and Mission for the 292 within a block of Palace. They are probably better off Ubering with four in a cab. Maybe 40 minutes or less.

My way is likely longer. But I love buses that knell. Folks are getting on buses in wheelchairs/stollers with kids all the time.If I were to take Bart, I have to navigate additional elevators and escalators. when I get downtown on a subway, You hope escalators/elevators working or you are lifting luggage up multiple flights of stairs.

II can do it but ends up easier to get luggage and basically wheel it onto bus. I do not mind extra 10/20 minutes in time. For first timers you get confused underground. I thought the 292 was great. It worked for me.