We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Muir Woods?

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Muir Woods?

Family of 4 adults, not renting a car. The one thing my husband wants to do is go to Muir Woods. I've looked at the tours that include a visit there, but it seems illogical to pay $60 per person, for basically just transportation to and from.

Uber cost? Has anyone made the trip from SF to Muir Woods? We are staying in the Finanacial District. Also, I'm worried about cell reception arranging a ride back.

I should also mention, this will be on a Thursday (the only day we can do it).

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

If you reconsider renting a car just for the day, which is what we did both times we've been, it's much cheaper and easier. Probably a car rental place near your hotel.

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

I was thinking about that too... The parking at our hotel is $65. Did you just leave your hotel, rent the car, do your touring, and then return it?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

Anyone have experience of getting a Uber/Lyft out of Muir woods? Last time I was there, T-Mobile had no cell reception but AT&T worked. Also it will be a chore for drivers to go down the valley to pick up passengers. If you get a ride out, you should tip them generously.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

Yes, we rented and returned in the same day and never parked at the hotel. Your hotel could probably give you the closest rental place. We rented through Hertz because my husband's company gets a discount. It wasn't within walking distances so we got a Lyft there and back. I also saw somewhere on this forum that Rent a Mile was local and had excellent rates (408-475-0379). It was an easy drive to Muir.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

Take the Marin transit bus #30 from downtown San Fran (number of stops) over Golden Gate bridge thru Sausalito to main stop ****** (Donahue and Tenners)******** block away a Starbucks/Target mall.

goldengatetransit.org/schedules/…route_30.php

Transfer to the #61 (nicknamed Stagecoach)

http://www.marintransit.org/routes/61.html

only 4 buses a day eastbound/westbound

so careful on times

Drivers or passengers will know exactly to stop on road where you get off and hike down steep path maybe a mile.

Google map knows the hiking trail.

Seems everybody knows drivers and they know their route.

Continues to Stinson Beach which is where I went. Beautiful there too.

Ask driver but I think is $5 one way over bridge and $2 for other bus or $14 roundtrip.

Basically they charge like $4 to cross bridge each time.

You could take Ferry back from Sausalito after.

Might pay to get $5 pass for zone 2. In case you want to stop in Sausalito.

Therefore $15 each

Alternative: seasonal and Hwy 1 might be closed

http://www.marintransit.org/routes/66.html

6. Re: Best way to get to Muir Woods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 14, 2018