We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

Anyone have any nice hotels (in nice area) where parking is free or low cost? I have heard that parking is about $30/night. Any information would be appreciated..

San Diego
Level Contributor
65 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

If you mean hotels with free parking in downtown SFO, then perhaps you can try the hotels along lombard. The 101 N turns into Van Ness and when you reach the end of Van Ness you take a left going to Lombard. Several hotels and motels along this stretch that dont charge for parking. I normally shack up at one of the 3 Travelodge in the area (near steiner st) as they also have free internet. You've got I-hop (24 hours) across the street and a good walking neighborhood behind the hotel.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

would you have the address of the travelodge? thanks.

=================

If you mean hotels with free parking in downtown SFO, then perhaps you can try the hotels along lombard. The 101 N turns into Van Ness and when you reach the end of Van Ness you take a left going to Lombard. Several hotels and motels along this stretch that dont charge for parking. I normally shack up at one of the 3 Travelodge in the area (near steiner st) as they also have free internet. You've got I-hop (24 hours) across the street and a good walking neighborhood behind the hotel.

San Diego
Level Contributor
65 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

Travelodge at golden gate . . . it s the second Travelodge after turning to Lombard.

2230 Lombard St (at Steiner) SFO CA 94123 Its on their website and you probably get a better rate if you book thru the net.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

Has anyone ever stayed at this travelodge?

San Francisco at The Presidio Travelodge

2755 Lombard St., San Francisco, CA 94123, US

Any information on the neighborhood? Safe to walk around? Anything to see in that area?

thanks for your replies..

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

I wass going to suggest the same thing. Hotels and motels along Lombad usually don't charge for parking.

There is a nice place called Hotel Del Sol. They are owned by the Joie de Vivre boutique hotel line. http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/5

I don'tknow what thier prices are like.

The area is quite good. if you are female walking alone at night there not scary at all. I do it often (I work in the Marina). It has lots of nightlife too just a couple of blocks in both directions, Chesnut St and Union St.

Ficherman's Wharf is a 15minute walk away.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

Thanks for your reply.. The rates are $150 /night, compare with about $75 a night for the Travelodge.. The Joie looks nicer and has a pool, so I will discuss with my wife.. We are going with are two kids (ages 5 and 3)

===============

I wass going to suggest the same thing. Hotels and motels along Lombad usually don't charge for parking.

There is a nice place called Hotel Del Sol. They are owned by the Joie de Vivre boutique hotel line. http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/5

I don'tknow what thier prices are like.

The area is quite good. if you are female walking alone at night there not scary at all. I do it often (I work in the Marina). It has lots of nightlife too just a couple of blocks in both directions, Chesnut St and Union St.

Ficherman's Wharf is a 15minute walk away.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

I don't know how much time you have in the city but with 2 young kinds I would recommend the Exploratorium. It is located in the Marina next to (pretty much in) the Palace of Fine Arts right off of Marina Blvd. along the water. Its a great place for kids of all ages. They will also like the Bay Area Discovery Museum just across the bridge.

If you go to Fishermans Wharf check out Musee de Mechanique at Pier 45, right near all the crab booths and restaurants. Free admission but make sure you take a bunch of quarters.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to San Fran from Los Angeles

I think we will pick the Travelodge at 2230 Lombard Street (I like the free parking and free internet), and also that it's safe to walk around at night.. The rates at travelodge.com site is 81.75 per night (non-smoking two queen beds).. Is that the best price or does anyone know if I can get a better price for that hotel thru another website?? thanks for your replies..