We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor in April 07

Detroit
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Bar Harbor in April 07

My Wife and I are going to be in Maine April 10th '07. Is this too early in the season to see Bar Harbor and Acadia? If not, will I have trouble finding a place to stay since I'm not exactly sure of the date. It could be the 10th, 11th or 12th.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Soja

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor in April 07

Hi Soja,

Sorry to say, but coastal Maine in April can still feel a bit like winter. However, there's usually an air of hustle and bustle as businesses and towns get ready for the season. So though not everything will be open then, enough should be to keep you occupied.

You should have no problem finding a place to stay. I like the Bar Harbor Inn, which in April will probably have affordable rates, as it's usually pretty expensive in-season. Check it out at www.barharbor.inn.com.

Hopefully the Bar Harbor Expert will pipe in soon and will offer lots more info than I can :).

cozyharbor

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor in April 07

The Bar Harbor Expert, such as he is, has been enjoying Monhegan Island.

April on MDI, as you might have inferred from cozyharbor's response, is not exactly in "the season." It will be cool---Weather Underground's trip planner can give you the details, but in general the lows will be in the low 30s and highs in high 40s. It is a rainy time (and we have had substantial snows about that time).

Barring extremely bad weather or another budget cut, the park should be open for sightseeing, hiking, etc. There won't be any leaves on the trees (that happens in May) so you can really appreciate the beautiful landforms of the park and island.

The Bar Harbor Inn should be open---as memory serves, they usually reopen about mid-March. If you ae interested in a B&B, you might try Aysgarth Station in Bar Harbor. Both can be seen by clicking on the links under More Bar Harbor Hotels.

Some restaurants will be open (weekends are best); most shops and B&Bs will not be. The Bar Har Harbor B&B Association has recently instituted a web site that provides links to several B&Bs, giving information, availability, etc. See:

http://www.sleepbarharbor.com

palermo,maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor in April 07

Hi Soja--

We've stayed at the Bar Harbor Grand in April. Rates are still off season and reasonable. The Hotel is in a great location in town, is a newer hotel, very clean and comfortable with a great continental breakfast. Hiking is great that time of year (it's before the black flies hit!) if you layer clothes a little. Have a great trip!

4. Re: Bar Harbor in April 07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 24, 2009