We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of OCT too late to visit?

Atl, Ga
4 posts
Save Topic
End of OCT too late to visit?

Hi, I have mixed info on October in Bar Harbor... are things shutting down by then? I really wanted to do whale watching tour but primarily there for Fall Foliage :) What is the scoop please? Will the town be alive or shutting down by then?

Thanks! Jennifer in ATL

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of OCT too late to visit?

Well, some of us live here year 'round. We don't pull up the drawbridge or anything. The restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, and motels generally stay open until November 1st. A few stay open until Christmas. Some restaurants are open on weekends throughout the winter. The roads through Acadia National Park are open until sometime in November and the trails and carriage roads are open all winter.

But I very much doubt that there will be any whale watch boats going out during the last week of October. It's generally very cold and windy on the North Atlantic at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
299 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of OCT too late to visit?

HI spritzie,

I don't know Bar Harbor real well, so am not sure when things close up. However, it sounds like Bonniemaev gave you the rundown on what's open and what's not.

But from what she wrote, it sounds like you might want to try and come up a week or two earlier when things are still open and hopping and that way you won't be disappointed.

cozyharbor

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of OCT too late to visit?

As you have read, the village will still be operating. Some of the restaurants may be on a shorter schedule, i.e., closed one or two nights a week (some already are doing that).

The end of October, i.e., the last weekend, probably will be past the peak of autumn color. Very likely, the maples will have peaked and be in decline; the oaks and other hardwoods should still be colorful.

Mid-October is a better target for color.

Atl, Ga
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: End of OCT too late to visit?

Thanks so much everyone for your help :)

I truly appreciate it! ~Jennifer

5. Re: End of OCT too late to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 18, 2009