We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 post
Save Topic
Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Planning a trip for the Labor Day weekend. What are some things to do and places to see. This will be our first trip. Never have hiked before. Don't kayak either.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

You don't need to have ever kayaked or hiked. Some of the hikes are merely a pleasant walk or stroll in the woods or along the ocean shore. Inexperienced kayakers go out on a half day tour in tandem kayaks with a Maine guide, after a short lesson.

Of course, you do not need to hike or kayak to enjoy Acadia National Park. You can drive the 22 mile Loop Road, stopping to take in the sights like Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs. You can drive to the top of Mount Cadillac for sunrise or sunset. No walking needs to be done. You can eat lobster eggs benedict for breakfast, lobster rolls for lunch, and whole lobster for dinner.

You can take one of a few boat tours that will give you a narrated tour of the Bay, lovely seaside homes, lighthouses, birds, seals, etc. You can have tea and popovers out on the lawn overlooking Jordan Pond House. You can visit the native American museum in Bar Harbor, see the beautiful stained glass windows in St. Savior Church, walk across the sand bar at low tide to Bar Island, take a sunset schooner trip on the Margaret Todd. Shop the little shops of Bar Harbor's main street, drink at the sidewalk cafes, watch the boats come and go from a seafront village park.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Bonniemaev, thanks for all your excellent suggestion! You always answer quickly, completely and politely. Just lurking at this point but will be in the area next June after our son's wedding in Camden

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Thank you for your kind words. I was a tourist here once myself. Now I'm a very grateful year 'round resident in Bar Harbor, appreciating the beauty of Acadia through the seasons. I have the time and I love to share the joy.

Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

I hope to one day be in the same boat Bonnie!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Bonniemaev...we are headed to Bar Harbor next week. I've read MANY of your posts and appreciate all the info as well! You should consider starting your own travel info business! I'm so excited to explore Acadia. Can you share the "must see" lighthouses on the coast of Maine?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

I think those might include:

Portland Head Light http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

Pemaquid Light visitmaine.com/organization/…

Bass Harbor Light www.acadiamagic.com/BassHarborLight.html

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Bonnie,Thanks so much for your detailed information.

I am so impressed that you made the move from tourist to year-round resident. My husband and I first visited Acadia in 1976 (we were living in Philadelphia) and we have visited maybe 30 times since then. Every summer we say we are going to visit in the winter but never make it up there. Now we live in Providence so maybe we will get to do it. We are coming for our annual August visit in a few weeks. Anything new that we should not miss? We are staying at the West Street Hotel (we have stayed in a variety of places from Bar Harbor Campground, Hinckley's Cabins, Cleftstone Manor and Bar Harbor Grand) to name a few). We hike during the day and usually eat out for dinner. Would appreciate any info on new restaurants etc. Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

We started visiting around 1976 also. We always stayed at Cleftlstone Manor, through a number of different owners, and are now friends with the present owners.

Mache Bistro is our favorite restaurant. They have moved from upper Cottage Street to lower Main Street, where Eden Vegetarian was. Same chef, similar menu, same waitstaff, still very good. Right across the street, this season Havana has opened an outside grille with bar and table seating. It has a completely different menu from inside. Small plates, mostly from the visible grille. Very, very tasty. No reservations taken. I've been there once. It's always busy. Opens at 4 p.m.

Fathom has a new chef and slightly different menu. Rupununi's is now Bar Harbor Beerworks and has added a second story balcony. Mixed reviews on the food, impressive beer list.

The Looking Glass, where Reinhart Dining Pavillion was some years ago, is getting better and better reviews. They have an outdoor bar now with that stunning view. This year, to compensate for the town losing Eden Vegetarian, they have added a vegan menu. Good chef there.

Michael Boland, owner of Havana's (still great food) has opened a chocolate place on lower Main Street called Choco Latte. I haven't been there yet. It's in the location of the old Macy's clothing store. It's coffee and chocolate. Should be great. The Pink Pastry has opened next door to The Rock Shop.

Town Hill Bistro is no more. The chef, Maureen, has opened The Food Shack, right next door to the former location. It's food-to-go. Supposed to be quite good. Red Sky is still in Southwest Harbor. Still good.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

What happened to Eden? I am not vegetarian but my brother and his wife loved Eden and always had several meals there every visit (although our meal last yea was not as good as always).

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to visit Bar Harbor and Maine

Bonnie, Thanks so much for the update. I really appreciate your thorough responses.

When we stayed at Cleftstone, I believe the Johnsons (Don and Meg perhaps) owned it. It was such a great place to stay. I think we stayed there around 1986 (I was pregnant with our now 26 year old daughter)!