We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

Massachusetts
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

We are planning a trip to Acadia in October and are debating the best way to enjoy Cadillac and the other mountains in the park. Our son is six, and he can handle technical hikes, but his endurance is...well, what you'd expect from a 6 year old. He gets pooped, and he gets bored. IOW, he does better on a short technical hike than a long level trail.

So far we've done mountains as high as 1,000 feet, and he has not broken a sweat (he loves this, by the way, the reservations are ours, not his!).

Anyway, can someone recommend some hikes in the park that are suitable for a child with reasonable hiking/climbing skills?

Second question? What'e the buzz on Eden Village? A friend recced it to me, and I am looking for other opinions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

There are some hikes/walks described in the Inside section of this forum page. Cadillac tends to be a rather long hike; most people either hike the North Ridge (shorter, steeper) or the South Ridge (longer, not quite so steep).

Another that you might consider is Parkman Mountain/Bald Peak. We just did that one---I think that the views from the summit are better than those atop Cadillac. See: www.tinyurl.com/r2o7 and select the Parkman Mountain 2006 album.

When will you be here in October? The Island Explorer shuttle runs until 9 October, which makes it possible to do "through" hikes---after that, it's pretty much up and back unless you can devise a decent loop.

Eden Village seems to be popular and well regarded. As a year-round resident, I can't provide specifics---perhaps someone out there has some recent experience.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

As cwvoigt said above, check out the insider pages for some hikes with short descriptions.

Here are a few suggestions of what a six year old might enjoy.

1) hike across the exposed sand bar at low tide tide to Bar Island and take the short climb to the top of the hill. The bar is exposed for two hours before to two hours after low tide.

2) hike Great Head from the Sand Beach parking lot.

3) Gorham Mountain is a relatively short hike (a couple of miles) to the top of a mountain overlooking Sand Beach and Great Head. Gorham is 500+ feet.

4) Explore the tide pools at Wonderland - a short flat hike.

5) hike the Bubbles in the Jordan Pond area.

As far as Cadillac is concerned, my first thought would be the South Ridge but it is a relatively long hike and your son may tire. Also there is one spot very near the top when you have to scale a large rock face with the help of an iron rung. This should be little problem for an adult (although I've been told that people have fallen here and injured themselves). I'm not sure how easy/difficult it would be for a six-year old though.

While I have not yet done the North Ridge (that is coming in September), it may be more of a possibility. It is a bit shorter and as cw says steeper but the climb is not too much more than the 1,000 you say he has already done. There is one steeo section that you climb on a series of approximately 100 stone steps. The advantage on Cadillac is that once you get to the top, there is pleanty of opportunity to rest, visit the gift shop and so on. Remember there is also a road up Cadillac so you will have plenty of company once you get there. Unfortunately there is no shuttle from the top of Cadillac so the only way down is the way you came.

Hope this helps.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

Another option for hiking Cadillac would be taking the Cannon Brook Trail (it starts down by the Tarn in front of Dorr Mountain) and and follow that trail up to the Featherbed and then continue up Cadillac on the South Ridge trail (it is only a mile from there until the top). I did this hike about a week ago and loved it! You really get to go on a lot of diverse trails and the Cannon Brook trail is one of my favorites. You will not be disappointed!

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

My daughter is 7 and here are the hikes she enjoyed the last several years we've been to ANP:

Gorham: It is a bit longer of a hike but there is a lot to see. We start at Sand Beach, head up to the Bowl and Beehive (we take the easy way up with her), back down to Gorham, and finally to the south Gorham trailhead. We walk back by Thunder Hole. If its a bright sunny day, the sun can be a bit much walking back to Sand Beach.

Bubbles: This was mentioned before and for good reason. A very short scenic hike. Head to South Bubbles first, then North Bubbles after. Great views, short hike.

Great Head: This was mentioned before as well. Very nice short hike with a little cliff hiking if you like. You can always take the detour through the wood if you dont.

Champlain Mtn (Bear Brook Trail): Its a one mile steady climb to the top. The entire hike is exposed so if its very sunny or windy, you might reconsider. The views off Champlain are incredible.

Acadia Mtn: I fairly short hike to the summit. Great views. We went back down the same way we went up as the south slope was too great of an incline.

If you want some short walks to tidepool areas try: the Bar, Compass Harbor, and Seawall.

If you get a rainy day (or you need a break from all this hiking) try the museum at the College of the Atlantic. Lots of neat exhibits.

If you want a more difficult hike, consider Dorr. We took the Homan's Path to Dorr Summit. This trail has many granite steps and if you are afraid of heights I'd reconsider. The footing is very stable however. It is a bit longer and not as easy. Please use your discretion.

Last but not least, if you are in town for several days I highly recommend the Jr Ranger Program offered by the park. You can buy the booklet at the visitor center. You son completes the activities, takes a ranger led program and then gets annointed a Jr Ranger in a ceremony at the visitor center. My daughter LOVED it.

Eden Village: I have read nice things about it. We have not stayed here but I can tell you that its several miles out of town. Personally I like staying closer to town. We had a great stay at Bar Harbor Motel. The reviews speak for themselves.

Have a great trip.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

A couple great Kid friendly hikes I've done with my Nephews

-Flying Mountain (ends up in valley cove in the sound. Bring water shoes!)

-Triad & Day

-Pemetic from Bubble and down South side and end up at Jordan for lunch.

6. Re: Hiking Cadillac with a Young Child/Eden Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 12, 2009