We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Bar Harbor

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip to Bar Harbor

I'll be driving to Bar Harbor from Pittsburgh, a 13 hour road trip. Does anyone recommend places to stop along the way up and back for a nice rest or to stay to make it a two day trip there? I'm not sure if I should drive straight through (which doesn't bother me) of if there's something along the way I should check out. Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to Bar Harbor

Hudson Valley region of New York might be the mid-point for your trip. Many of the attractions might be a little further north of I-84. If you are interested maybe you can check out the US Military academy in West Point!! They have some tours.

Check out Hudson Valley attractions - http://www.followthehudsonriver.com

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip to Bar Harbor

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip to Bar Harbor

Do you have any interest in Maine's beaches? We stayed two nights in Old Orchard Beach last year after leaving NYC and before heading on to the Bar Harbor area. OOB isn't for everyone (we loved it) but there is also Ongunquit, Kennebunkport, etc. Not really a halfway point but would shorten your first day drive and then when you left you'd have a 3-4 hour drive to Bar Harbor, depending if you take 95 or the more scenic (but slower) Route 1.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip to Bar Harbor

Oh, and I had also wanted to stop in Salem, MA to "look for witches" but it was such a beautiful day when we were driving that we decided to skip it and hit the beach instead.

5. Re: Road trip to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 19, 2015