We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip planning

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
trip planning

My husband and I are planning a trip in late May from Portland to Acadia. Would like to include Nova Scotia. Any tips as to what to see and best way to get to Nova Scotia? We only have a week. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip planning

It would be really difficult to include a side trip to Nova Scotia on a trip from Portland to Acadia. I'm not sure that the new ferry will even be running in late May. It will go from Portland to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on an overnight trip. If you then spend a day touring Nova Scotia and come back to Portland on the day trip, you would have already spent three days of your week and not even started your travel up to Acadia.

If you drove to Nova Scotia you would be driving a full day north of Acadia to get there. There is a ferry from St. John, New Brunswick. But again that would take you most of the day from Acadia to get to St. John and then the ferry crossing. It really isn't feasible.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful province. It's well worth a visit. The dramatic tides of the Bay of Fundy are one thing you would want to see. Wolfville and Truro are the towns to see the tidal changes. Cape Breton, with its green mountains against the very blue seas of the Bay of St. Lawrence, are another must see. Halifax is worth a visit as well as the towns along the oceanside of the province like Lunenburg. All that would take a week and you still haven't visited Portland, Acadia, or the midcoast of Maine that lies between those destinations.

It maybe time to rethink.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip planning

With only a week for your trip, I think Bonniemaev's suggestion about scaling back your expectations is an excellent one. One week is not too long to spend seeing the Maine coast from Portland to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park (at least one full day in Portland and two full days in Acadia - minimum !!). You could also see much of Nova Scotia in a week, but could also easily spend two full weeks just visiting that expansive province (we've done that a couple of times). But to try to cram both locations into one week (even if the Portland-Yarmouth ferry is running) isn't going to give you time to "experience" either one.... Far too much driving (and ferry) time with too little time outside the car....

St. Augustine...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trip planning

Is there a ferry or boat from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia? We are planning on flying into Portland, driving to Bar Harbor to stay with my grandma a few days, and then would like to spend a day/night in Nova Scotia. is this a realistic trip?

St. Augustine...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip planning

Is there a ferry or boat from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia? We are planning on flying into Portland, driving to Bar Harbor to stay with my grandma a few days, and then would like to spend a day/night in Nova Scotia. is this a realistic trip?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip planning

No, there is not a ferry or boat that goes from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia. It's a long drive and certainly not something that you want to do as a day or even two day trip. I see from your other post that you plan to fly into Portland. By June there will likely be a ferry from Portland to Nova Scotia. But it will be an overnight trip and fairly expensive.

There are fun things to do and see in the Bar Harbor area because of Acadia National Park. I think your visit would be better spent simply spending time in Acadia.

St. Augustine...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip planning

Thank you for the suggestion! Should we fly to portland or is there a better airport to fly to?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip planning

Bangor would be the better airport to fly to. It is an hour's drive from Bar Harbor rather than the three hour drive from Portland.

Maine
Level Contributor
887 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trip planning

Bangor is indeed closer than Portland. It is also a smaller airport with less frequent service than Portland and usually higher fares. So check Bangor first, but if you don't find something that fits your schedule or desired price, then check Portland and you may find something that would make the extra 2 hour drive worth it.

9. Re: trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor