We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

contingency plans

St. Louis
8 posts
contingency plans

My friends and I are scheduled to spend 4 nights in Bar Harbor starting 10/4. Most of our plans revolve exploring/hiking around Acadia National Park With the threat of a government shutdown looming we were thinking we needed to come up with some contingency plans. We’d like to keep the current hotel reservation we already have booked. Any suggestions?

NJ / NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
11. Re: contingency plans

Thanks for advice.

New Jersey
5 posts
12. Re: contingency plans

I don't live on MDI but visit there often. I think the shortest trail up to the top of Cadillac is probably the trail up the east face of Dorr Mt. It starts out behind The Tarn pond which is just off Rt. 3 a mile or so south of Bar Harbor. It takes you to the top of Dorr Mtn and there's a trail to Cadillac from there. However it's a pretty strenuous hike. Lots of elevation gain in a fairly short distance. I think the trail from Blackwoods is quite a bit easier (though probably at least twice as long). I'd point you to the park maps on the park website, but in their wisdom the park's website is also closed!

I'll be heading up to Acadia from New Jersey next week. I'm hoping that, if the park is still closed, there will be no restrictions (or at least no effective restrictions) on hiking and biking. Anyone know if biking on the park loop road will be possible. It may not be "allowed", but if there are no Rangers on duty then I might take my chances. I know biking is OK when the park loop road closes in the Winter. Any first hand reports on what is and isn't allowed (or possible) would be most welcome.

Given that there may not be as many people around as usual, and there will be no rangers in the park, I wouldn't hike alone. I think emergency rescue will still be possible with volunteers, but it's likely to be even more difficult to evacuate anyone injured than it normally is. Cell phone coverage in the park is very spotty.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: contingency plans

Biking on the Loop Road would certainly be possible. You could easily get on off of Eagle Lake Road or at Sieur du Monts or on West Street Extension. Biking on the carriage roads is also possible. You can get on at Duck Brook Bridge or at Eagle Lake. It's dead easy to walk a bike around the brown gates.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
9 reviews
14. Re: contingency plans

And, by the way, BAPhoto may not live on MDI, but everything he said is spot on. Thanks for posting.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
15. Re: contingency plans

We are arriving in Bar Harbor on October 16th for 3 days. This shutdown will definitely affect our plans, but I am still very excited about our trip! Thanks for everyone posting contingency plans!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
10 reviews
16. Re: contingency plans

They were not allowing bikes on the Park Loop Road today. Seemed like hikers were fine. Have heard anything about the carriage roads. There were tons of cars parked outside of the closed gates at all entrances today so I know there were lots of people in the park.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
236 posts
58 reviews
17. Re: contingency plans

Thank you all for your information. We arrive on this Friday and am relieved to know we can see parts of the

Park.

Talked with a friend who was on a cruise ship at Bar Harbor today. Lots of disappointed folks regarding cancellation of their tour of Acadia.

Many thanks for your help.

New Jersey
5 posts
18. Re: contingency plans

lovingbarharbor wrote - "They were not allowing bikes on the Park Loop Road today."

Who are "they" in this context. As far as I know, all the Rangers are all on furlough except for emergency staff at HQ. Also where were they enforcing this? There are lots of places you can access the Park Loop road. "They" can't be manning every entrance if they have no Rangers and I'm sure the local Police (even if they cared) have better things to do than turn back cyclists!

I'm not saying it's not happening, but if it is it would be good to know how and where,

Edited: 12:00 am, October 02, 2013
New Jersey
5 posts
19. Re: contingency plans

From the Bangor Daily News:

"The park’s official stance is that people are not allowed in the park while it is closed, but many people willing to hike or ride bikes into Acadia seemed undeterred Tuesday afternoon. Dozens of cars were parked along state highways that pass through park property, while several bicyclists were seen maneuvering around barricades to access park roads.

“Rangers will be out working to enforce the closure,” a park dispatcher said Tuesday afternoon. Rangers were unavailable Tuesday afternoon to comment, the dispatcher said."

Wonder who is paying the Rangers?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
9 reviews
20. Re: contingency plans

I have a friend who took a nice leisurely bike ride yesterday along the entire Loop Road. She accessed it from Schooner Head Road, the usual winter access. She was never stopped nor did she see a ranger. The one instance of a bicyclist being asked to leave the Loop Road very likely happened when the rangers were out there early in the morning, closing off the road, dropping the gates.

I thought of another easy way onto the Loop with a bicycle and it has the advantage of being a flat ride from the village. As you come into town on Route 3 from the bridge, you go past West Street and Cottage Streets. You come to a stop sign at Mount Desert Street. The Quality Inn is on your far right. If you go straight there, past the Quality Inn, that road will take you right to the Loop Road. You will cross Cromwell Harbor Road and a section of the golf course. There you will find the brown gate. There is an easy walk around it.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor