We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in Bar Harbor

New Jersey
7 posts
Save Topic
November in Bar Harbor

Hi, my husband and I are planning a last minute trip to come up to Maine (in particular Bar Harbor area) for a week in early November (11/6 to 11/13 give or take) . I know that that is the start of the slow season but was wondering if there will be enough stores/restaurants open for lunch/dinner. We've had several people tell us that everything really shuts down and to figure out somewhere else to go instead. Wish we could come up in October however just wasn't feasible with work. Would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in Bar Harbor

You'll be o.k. There are a number of places that stay open year 'round. Galyn's Restaurant and Side Street Café usually stay open for lunch and dinner throughout November. Geddy's and Jack Russell Steak House should be open also. Wherever you are staying (a B&B ?) will be able to tell you who is open. Plus there is a grocery store and two drug stores and Cadillac Mountain Sports and Sherman's Book Store -- all open year 'round.

It's true that 80 to 90 percent of the lodging and restaurants close up on November 1st. But there will still be enough open to give you a choice of dining. Havana and Fathom may even be open on weekends for fine dinner dining.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Thanks for posting this question. I was worried about the same thing! Thanks Bonniemave for the reply, I was worried about my upcoming trip.

Edited: 10:12 pm, September 29, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Oops..posted to wrong thread.. Sorry

New Jersey
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Thank you, we are actually hoping to rent a house through VRBO as we will be traveling with our dog as well. Would there be somewhere else in Maine that you would recommend that doesn't shut down as much and that way we can make a day trip to Bar Harbor?

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: November in Bar Harbor

We are looking to book a last minute weekend to Bar Harbor this weekend (11/22-11/24) and I am finding the similar issue, a lot is closed down. Is there anyplace to stay and worth going or is it all shut-down?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Bar Harbor is definitely NOT all shut down. The Park Loop Road in Acadia is even still open until 12/1 . You can get an oceanfront room at the Bar Harbor Inn this weekend for $109.

http://www.barharborinn.com/

You'll be able to find a few restaurants open. You can hike in Acadia, drive the Loop Road, see sunrise and sunset from the top of Cadillac (if it doesn't snow so that they have to close the road), shop, see the rest of Mount Desert Island, and relax.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November in Bar Harbor

We were in Bar Harbor and Acadia last week. Not that we were making an exhaustive list, but there were at least 4 or 5+ restaurants opened and probably as may B&B's, maybe more. Stay at a B&B and that takes care of breakfast. We stayed at the Ivy Manor. Price was right, room was nice, breakfast was good, owners were very pleasant and accommodating.

We ate out each night, once at the Thirsty Whale, once at Geddy's and once a take out from China Joy. We walked around town a bit and found appx 1/2 the storefronts open, maybe less.

We also found a Hannaford's Supermarket in town. We bought some bread and a very tasty chicken salad and chips for a picnic lunch. That was simple and surprisingly good, especially after too much rich food and eating out on the trip. Another discovery: they have 10 or 12 different kinds of muffins - all that we tried were very good!!!

The main interest is of course Acadia. It was nearly empty, sometimes not seeing another car for 10-15 minutes on the loop. we visited Cadillac Mtn 3 or 4 times and never found more than 3-4 cars up there, sometimes just us. Acadia is built for exploring on foot and bike. It's not a drive thru destination - IMHO, definitely not good for a day trip.

We were expecting and prepared for the cold. Lots of layers, hoodies, heavy coat, etc.... We found lows/highs between 20-40 degrees or so and windy. One day was threatening rain, other days sunny, bright and cold. We never really found ourselves freezing, except when waiting for a sunrise - darn cold even w/blankets. We got off for some small walks/hikes and stayed warm. Had it been much colder then we might have been miserable. Final point on the weather, depending on circumstances (and park timetables) you may find portions of the Loop Road and the Cadillac Mountain road closed. We found the mountain road closed one morning, after a cold evening of rain and freezing. The road had been reopened by noon or so. I mention this to help set expectations, plus I think I read that some of the park roads close down at some point for the winter.

Finally, we drove up Route 1 along the coast. Having never been here we wanted to explore a little or at least see the coast. I would say that unless you have a specific place to visit or stay along the coast (Rockland, Camden, etc....) and are really only planning a "drive thru" and "site seeing", than you may be better off taking the highway. Route 1 is almost entirely mile after mile of rundown, road side, down scale retail. Pretty boring... Some of the downtowns were nice, however. BUT, point being, it's not what I'd consider "scenic". Whereas, the highway, which is almost entirely forested is quite scenic and much quicker. Also, being November, crowds and traffic were minimal. Driving Route 1 in the middle of summer might be pretty dreadful. Next time, it's highway for me.

FWIW,

Kevin

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Thank you for the info! We booked it (although didn't get that good of rate, but are still happy with it)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Good restaurants to try would be Guinness and Porcelli and Side Street Café, both in Bar Harbor. G&P is on Main Street. Side Street Café is on Rodick Street, which is a side street off of Cottage Street. Also on Rodick is Morning Glory Bakery for very good baked goods, soup, bagel sandwiches, and coffee drinks. All the way down (away from Main) on Cottage Street is Jordan's, a diner open for breakfast and lunch.

For a bit more upscale dinner, you might try Red Sky in Southwest Harbor. They will be open this weekend.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: November in Bar Harbor

Thank you Bonnie - very much appreciated!