We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouses?

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lighthouses?

Are there any lighthouses between Bar Harbor and Portland that you can go inside? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lighthouses?

Everyone has seemed to miss the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. The brand new Maine Lighthouse Museum is located in Rockland and would be a perfect stop for lighthouse lovers before (or after) walking the breakwater (just under a mile) for a tour inside the Breakwater Lighthouse. Volunteers have been working very hard to raise money to renovate the interior of this lighthouse and host an open house every weekend throughout the summer....including an opportunity to climb up into the light tower.

http://www.rocklandlighthouse.com

http://www.mainelighthousemuseum.com

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lighthouses?

Hi mateome,

You got some great responses, so I can only re-iterate a few top choices in which to visit.

The Burnt Island Lighthouse/tour is wonderful and is out of Boothbay Harbor. There are 2 trips a day, morning and afternoon. Just the boat ride out to the lighthouse is wonderful, not to mention the views from the various paths that run along the island. Of course the lighthouse itself is magical and guided tour is great and very informative.

Another wonderful lighthouse experience would be to walk out to the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse along the jetty. This is about 7/8's of a mile and a total delight as you're surrounded by water, all manner of boating (including windjammers), and views of the Camden Hills. Pack a lunch, hike out, and then relax and enjoy the specatucular scenery. Check the following website for more info at www.rocklandlighthouse.com.

Once lighthouse that hasn't been mentioned and offers a wonderful little museum is the Marshall Pt. Lighthouse in Port Clyde. Though the lighthouse itself is not open to the public, the grounds are and so are the former lighthouse keeper's residence which now houses a wonderful museum. Just the drive to the lighthouse is a delight and worth the trip. Stop at nearby Tenant's Harbor for lobster in the rough at Cod End.

Good luck and let us know how your trip turned out :).

cozyharbor

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lighthouses?

Thanks, cozy harbor and everyone else. I will be sure to post after my trip (mid-July, with the rest of humanity)! We're just exploring for a long weekend. I know, not nearly long enough, but my honey is a landscaper, so it's a miracle we can get away for 5 days in the middle of the summer! We're grateful for what we can get.

Pa.
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Lighthouses?

Don't forget the Seagull Shoppe right next door to Pemaquid Light.

It's a great place to shop or grab a bite to eat.

15. Re: Lighthouses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 13, 2009