We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor to Portland

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
170 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor to Portland

Thinking of changing my plans to split between Bar Harbor and Portland. Is there anything that is too pretty to not see on the drive south from Bar Harbor to Portland area that will not put us too much out of the way? Thanks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

We stopped at Busksport to see Fort Knox and also did the observatory. Got there at noon and was done by 2:30.

Farmington...
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

Stop in Kennebunkport at the Clam Shack for awesome lobster rolls.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

Too pretty not to see between Bar Harbor and Portland -- hmmm.... my list would include:

-- Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory (already mentioned) -- it's just south of Bucksport and maybe a quarter of a mile off US Rt 1... just watch for signs as you cross the high suspension bridge -- great views from the enclosed observatory built into the top of one of the bridge towers.

-- Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park, just north of Camden, ME -- quick, easy drive to the top with great views of Camden Harbor, town of Camden and that part of the mid-coast

-- Camden Harbor -- scenic, accessible waterfront area in downtown Camden with a pretty waterfall at the head-of-the-harbor. Bear left and take your first sharp left in the middle of downtown Camden (where US Rt 1 takes a sharp right up the hill).

-- and after you get to Portland, "must see's" have to include Portland Head Light lighthouse in nearby Cape Elizabeth and the restored buildings in the Old Port District (some great restaurants in that area as well).

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
170 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

How long is the ride in August without stops straight to Camden from Bar Harbor about?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

I'd give it about two-and-a-quarter hours for usual summer traffic conditions....

6. Re: Bar Harbor to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 11, 2014