We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 2 nights?

Redfield, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to spend 2 nights?

My husband & I have 2 wks planned to be in Maine in August. Will be driving from Bangor to St. Andrews, NB for 3 nights. The last part of our 2 wks will be spent in Bar Harbor (5 nights). So, we will be doing a loop from Bangor up to NB, back to ME, then back to Bangor.

My questions are: From St. Andrews should be drive to Letete, then take the ferry to Deer Island, then Campobello Island? If so, we want to spend 2 nights in the Campobello/Lubec area. Should we lodge on Campobello or in Lubec?

Then, from that area, we will have 3 nights before lodging in Bar Harbor. Should we plan to drive past Bar Harbor to either NE Harbor, SW Harbor or Bass Harbor for those 3 nights?

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

I can tell you to stay in Campobello instead of Lubec. It has some magnificent natural beauty--cliffs overlooking Bay of Fundy, and the Roosevelt Cottage is there. My husband and I honeymooned on Campbello.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

If you are going to spend five nights in Bar Harbor there would be no reason to spend additional nights of lodging in Northeast Harbor or Southwest Harbor. There isn't any lodging in Bass Harbor, a very small town. Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor are merely ten and 20 minute drives from Bar Harbor. You would be touring the very same areas during the day and simply sleeping in a different locale.

If it were me, after St. Andrews, I'd take the ferry at St. John, New Brunswick over to Digby, Nova Scotia and spend those nights there. Nova Scotia is gorgeous. You can ferry back to St. John and do your two nights in Lubec or Campobello and drive directly from there to Bar Harbor, a mere two and a half hour drive.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
946 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

I love the Deer Island ferry to Campobello. I did that a number of years ago and loved it. Deer Island was lovely and quaint and Campobello is just magical.

Redfield, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

I had considered the ferry to Nova Scotia. If we do that option, where would you suggest we go & stay for those 3 nights?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

I'd stay in one of the nice B&Bs in Wolfville. It's a small college town with good lodging and restaurants. From there you could day trip to Truro to see the Tidal Bore. The tides of the Bay of Fundy, as you probably know, are the highest in the world. In Truro the river is a mud flat at low tide. When the tide comes roaring in, the river reverses its flow and fills, bank to bank, in a matter of minutes. Awesome.

There are nice hikes in Blomidon Provincial Park, near Wolfville and on the Bay of Fundy. Also a spectacular hike at Cape Split, just beyond Blomidon. You can see the tide moving in the Bay from Cape Split.

You could also day trip to Halifax or Lunenburg from Wolfville. It would be a bit far to get up to Cape Breton, which is also very worth seeing. But you couldn't do everything in two days.

Redfield, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

What about the Yarmouth area? There is a duck carving artist being exhibited at one of the museum's during that time. My husband is a wood carver. The area looks really pretty too.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

Not much in Yarmouth. Maybe you could do a day trip from Digby or Wolfville, to Yarmouth, Peggy's Cove, and Lunenburg, cutting across back to Digby or Wolfville.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

<There isn't any lodging in Bass Harbor>

Yikes. Ann's Point Inn, Bass Harbor Cottages, Bass Harbor Inn, and Bass Harbor Campground are all in Bass Harbor. Bass Harbor is a small fishing village in the Town of Tremont and the other villages include Bernard (on the way to Thurston's Lobster Pound), Seal Cove and West Tremont. The Southwest Harbor-Tremont Chamber of Commerce (acadiachamber.com) will have more lodging options on the Quietside. Enjoy your stay.

9. Re: Where to spend 2 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 25, 2014