We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

We will be arriving in Manchester, NH about 4:30pm on July 2, 2013 and I was wondering if there is a motor coach to Bar Harbor. We were planning on renting a car & driving, but as my hubby has poor night vision, I'm wondering if there isn't another way to get there...is there?

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

No, there is no motor coach or any other easy way to get from Manchester to Bar Harbor by public transportation. It will be about a four and a half hour drive. Perhaps you could get as far as Portland while it is still daylight and spend the night there before you continue on up to Bar Harbor the next morning.

On the other hand, the sun doesn't set in Bar Harbor on July 2nd until 8 p.m. and there should still be some light in the sky until almost 9.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

As Bonnie says, Manchester to Bar Harbor is about four and one half hours, so unlikely you could make Bar Harbor before dark. But Bangor is about three and one half hours, so might be do-able if you could get right on the road -- leaving you only an hour to Bar Harbor the next morning.... But I like her iea of getting to Portland (only about an hour and a half from Manchester) -- it's a nice little city with lots of great restaurants in the Old Port District, and you could definitely get there well before dark. Even if there were a good public transportation connection (which there is not), you'll still find a car more handy once you get to Bar Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Old Port
Old Port
979 Reviews
Portland, ME
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Thanks peeps for the great info - we have a reservation for the 2nd-9th at Eden Village. My hubby doesn't have great night vision and I'm really not too keen on driving an unfamiliar car in unfamiliar territory in the dark! Any recommendations as to where would be a good place to stay (B&B or Inn) for 1 night on the road between Manchester, NH & Bar Harbor?

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Think you're wise to find somewhere to overnight on the way from Manchester to Bar Harbor... unfortunately, we're not inn or b&b folks (couple of bad experiences outside Maine several years ago), so I really don't have any meaningful recommendations to offer... but in general, you could look at Kennebunk/Kennebunkport or Portland, ME as good target destinations easily reachable before dark on the night you fly in...

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

You don't want to leave too much of the driving until July 3rd because that's going to be a mad-busy day for traveling. On July 2nd after 5pm might not be any picnic getting up into Maine and through the toll booths, either.

Holiday Inn Express just past Freeport might be a good idea........about 2 hrs from Manchester and it will position you near the freeway in the morning yet past the busy Portland area traffic. Free quick breakfast is a plus, too. Don't forget to tell Eden Village if you're going to be a day late!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

I agree with the Freeport suggestion. Lodging there will definitely be cheaper than in Portland. If you like B&Bs, I could recommend The Kendall Tavern Inn: http://www.kendalltavern.com/ It's been awhile since I stayed there. But it was very nice. I would definitely recommend dinner that night at Azure Care in Freeport: http://www.azurecafe.com/ Yummy. You could walk the few blocks from the inn to the café. You might even stop in and tour L.L. Bean's flagship store after dinner before walking back to your B&B. The store itself is beautiful.

Edited: 9:17 am, May 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Any special "doings" for 4th of July in Bar Harbor? We will be staying a week and want as much of the local flavor as possible - local eateries would also be helpful...

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Lots and lots of doings in Bar Harbor on the 4th of July starting with a blueberry pancake breakfast on the athletic field, where the parade will be organizing. A real small town parade with tricycles, Shriner cars, rescue greyhounds, fire trucks, and all the traditional stuff. Then, back at the athletic field there is a huge lobster feed, with a dozen or more oil drums turned into cookers and bright red lobsters getting dumped onto the serving tables by the laundry basketful.

Lobster races, face painting, antique stalls, music in the two town parks. And finally fireworks over Frenchman Bay.

http://www.barharborinfo.com/events/july_4th/

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Frenchman Bay
Frenchman Bay
330 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

Wow! Sounds like it will be a busy day, but we're DEFINITELY up for it! I'm so excited! Thanks for the great info! Are you a local with the lowdown? LOL

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to Bar Harbor from Manchester, New Hampshire airport

What about the Quality Inn in Augusta? http://augustaqualityinn.com/ Reviews are great on TA, and it's only 2 1/2 hrs from Manchester, leaving you a short drive to Bar Harbor in the morning.

We are planning on staying there ourselves in a few weeks. After reading the reviews, we are looking forward to it. It is easy off and on the Interstate, which is nice too.

Mentioned in this post