We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Chicago
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Topic
May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Traveling from Chicago, we've been up your way in the September, October and once in June. We might be able to do a trip the first weekend in May, but wondered if it will be as cold as when we visited in early October. Different seasons, but thought it might be good to ask in advance.

We miss the park and the town and the scent of the ocean.

Thanks much,

Jan

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

May is an iffy month. Could be nice and warm or could still be early Spring. Since we seem to have had a lighter winter, maybe we are heading into an early Spring and it will be a great time to be here. The Park Loop Road and Visitor Center open on April 15th. They just closed the carriage road for two weeks to let them dry out so if we don't get any more snow or tons of Spring rain, all might be open for your early May visit. My guess would be that early May would be colder during the day than early October but warmer overnight. Just a guess though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Not too early. The temps may be similar to October. However, unlike Sept and Oct, mosquitoes and black flies will welcome you with open arms.

Chicago
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Ah yes....I remember being chased by Black flies on a bike ride one June. I didn't know they came out in May!

Thanks so much! May delay until September.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

The black flies do indeed come out in May, although it varies some from year-to-year. But they don't need to be a problem. Ocean breezes tend to deter them. There are just some trails and some bike routes that it is best to stay away from. They are seldom seen in town. Those who garden and those who play in streams are the most bitten.

Chicago
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

I think we found the bike trail your mentioned!

Maybe right after Labor Day. Do the crowds dwindle that early in September? That would be great as well.

Thanks!

Jan

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

The crowds do indeed dwindle the week after Labor Day. Families are getting their kids ready for school and the autumn leaf peepers have not yet arrived.

Chicago
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Thanks, Bonnie! I don't want to wish time away, but so looking forward to just "being there."

Foodwise, I have to share that one of my fav memories of our last visit was a visit to a friendly sandwich cafe in Southwest Harbor. I hope it is still there!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Was it Eat-a-Pita in Southwest Harbor? Or maybe Little Notch Bakery. They may or may not be there. You never know. I know what you mean about just "being there". We used to feel that way. And THEN we moved here sixteen years ago. We've been very happy ever since. Now it's amazing to know that we never have to go home. This IS home. We own a piece of this stunning island. Year 'round.

Chicago
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Bonnie,

I so get that!!! We've been lured back to BH and Acadia for a very long time. Not everyone gets the same feeling, but we do. Just walking in town...or anywhere near the water....scents....rainy, stormy days are amazing, too. We wanted to move 20 years ago, but couldn't figure a way to make a living....even in Portland.

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I felt at home (well, better than that) as soon as we sat down. Funny, too....I don't even eat lobsters....just love everything about the harbor. And, who doesn't love Acadia!!!

Maybe early Sept. So great chatting with you!

Best,

Jan

10. Re: May 3rd too early to visit Acadia and Bar Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 16, 2014