We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland Inn?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Holland Inn?

Well, I'm still reading and still looking for just the right place for our Bar Harbor vacation in July. I've posted earlier about the Inn at Bay Ledge and the Maples Inn .. and have just come across the Holland Inn and was wondering if that might suit us. Could someone who has stayed there help me, perhaps?

As a recap, we're a late-40s couple looking for a romantic getaway -- our first vacation together, and away from our combined 5 children. Both of us have always wanted to see Maine, love to hike, and are looking for a great time exploring the park, finding neat restaurants, and mostly just spending time alone together.

We both like the easy accessiblitiy of being in Bar Harbor ... I love the idea of getting up and going for an early morning walk on the Shore Path, for instance. And the idea of finding parking in late July seems daunting -- and a minus for the beautiful Inn at Bay Ledge.

The new owner at the Maples was wonderful on the phone, but his available rooms don't quite mesh with our needs. He only has three of our 4 nights available, and then only the White Birch Suite, which with its canopied bed and rather prim furnishings, doesn't look at all like us.

I'm much more lodge/cabiny type person -- the Bear Cottage at Inn at Bay Ledge is much more appealing in style. And though it doesn't have a water view, at least the decks at the inn look wonderful and seem to have glorious water views for breakfast.

Sooooo ... would the Holland Inn seem at all romantic to us? Does the advantage of being actually in Bar Harbor outweigh the views at breakfast? The Holland Inn has some appealing suites with private decks, etc. ... The Precipice looked nice, as well as the Pretty Marsh (not in the main house).

Or is there someplace else? Not too Victorian, not too cute (no stuffed animals, please), not tacky and with a degree of privacy and air of romance (kids would not be a good thing) ...

price is important. We're looking at something $175 or less ... which seems to be hard in peak season....

Help?

(and thanks!)

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holland Inn?

As you search for lodgings, don't limit yourself to the town of Bar Habor. Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor are also nice areas and both have nice little downtowns. Thought I don't think they'd be any less expensive, at least they give you more options.The island is small enough so that it shouldn't matter so much which town you stay in.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holland Inn?

The Holland Inn has a good reputation. They had a nice write-up in the Boston Globe last year. If you want recommendations from people who have stayed there just click on Holland Inn near the bottom to the left of the screen where you are reading this message.

If you only reason for not picking the Inn at Bay Lege is fear of parking in Bar Harbor, I wouldn't be all that afraid of that. Yes, you may have to hunt for a parking spot for ten minutes or so if you come into town for dinner. I agree that it is indeed convenient to be staying right in town so that you can take a stroll after dinner to get an ice cream cone or a cup of coffee or browse the shops. And it is nice to just walk from your Inn to the Shore Path or the tidal bar that goes to Bar Island. But it is also nice to have your own private cottage and be on a bluff overlooking the water where there is peace and deep quiet and stars at night and no foot or road traffic to speak of.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holland Inn?

There are a couple of other options you might want to look into also. The Bass Cottage Inn has beautiful rooms (a little above the price range you are looking for)...however, they are right downtown and very close to the water and shore path. Another Inn that is right in town that is also very nice is the Quimby House Inn. Their prices are more in your range and the rooms are very nice and clean. I have only heard good things about this property (take a look at their reviews on here and you will see what I mean). They are also about a 5 minute walk from the water.

Good luck with your search!