We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Weekend on Mount Desert

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limbo
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day Weekend on Mount Desert

Finally getting to visit the island after I left college there...we are travelling over Labor Day Weekend. Of course, I had the pleasure of living there from September to June and missing high season. Should we expect crowds next weekend? Never really was on the island when it was in full swing, so am unsure what to expect. My husband like a lively bar scene, so perhaps this will be a good thing for Saturday night.

And a random question about XYZ...is it owned and operate by Mexicans? And does anybody know if it is the type of place we could go and grab a drink and an appetizer rather than have a full dinner? Understand it's pricy and no way I am paying $$$$$ for something I can make at home.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Weekend on Mount Desert

Believe it or not, Labor Day Weekend is usually not "full swing" for MDI. Things will have already begun to taper off just a little. It's been a good year up here. I'm sure there will still be plenty of people but no more than you might remember from October.

XYZ is not owned by Mexicans. The same couple have owned it since forever. They winter in Mexico. The food is authentic Mexican as opposed to tex-mex. No tacos and junk like that. Mole sauce and real peppers. Yes, you can get a drink and an appetizer. They even have outdoor seating. I don't think it's all that pricey, though. Food is good. Margaritas are top notch, not made from a mix.

I'm not sure how long ago you were in college here. But XYZ is no longer right on the water in Manset. They lost their lease on that place and built a place up the hill from the water, adjacent to their own home. You can see a map on their web page:

http://www.xyzmaine.com/directions.html Also be sure to check on their hours when you are here. They generally are only open weekends after August.

2. Re: Labor Day Weekend on Mount Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor