We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouses

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Lighthouses

We will be driving to Bar Harbor from Manchester, NH. Looking to see how many lighthouses we might be able to see on the way.

Maine
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouses

It really depends on how much time you will be taking to make the drive. If you are only taking a day I would recommend the following. I am assuming you would come into Me via Kittery. Head over to Nubble Light which is easily viewed from York Beach. Then do Portland Head Light and have lunch at Two Lights. In the afternoon you'll probably have time to drive down one peninsula in the mid coast. I would choose either Pemaquid Point or Port Clyde. Their are scenic lights at the end of both. You might have time to take in Owls Head (Thomston), as well. There are other lights in the Mt Desert area. Have fun!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouses

From South to North (Kittery ME to Bar Harbor.... lighthouses near or just a short side trip from US Rt 1 include:

-- The Nubble Light, York Beach.... great photo op

-- Portland Head Light, Cape Elizabeth.... classic photo op...well worth the short side trip to get there; oldest continuously operating US lighthouse on Atlantic seaboard

-- Ram Island Ledge Lighthouse, on Ram Island, not accessible by car, but nice view from Portland Head Light lighthouse grounds

-- Portland Breakwater Light, also known as "Bug Light", South Portland...easy stop on your way to-from Portland Head Light

-- Rockland Harbor Breakwater Light, at the end of the Rockland breakwater -- easily visible from Rockland waterfront or the land end of the breakwater

-- Fort Point Lighthouse, Fort Point State Park, Stockton Springs

There are other possibilities, as noted by traveleralso, but those would require longer side trips, and more time. All a matter of how much time you want to spend seeing lighthouses and how quickly you want to get to Bar Harbor.

Almost all of the above can be Googled separately for photos and driving directions.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouses

Thank you both for the information. The drive up 1 looks great.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouses

If you really have time, I would definitely recommend taking a detour to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. It is a classic lighthouse on a Rocky Maine Coastline.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighthouses

Pemaquid Point Light is another "classic" Maine lighthouse.... but, because it is located at the end of a peninsula served by a sometimes narrow, two-lane rural road, it's at least a half hour from Rt 1 down to the lighthouse, and a half hour back, plus whatever time you want to spend there (and a half hour wouldn't be too much for that)... So you'd be looking at taking at least an hour and a half out of a day that could already be busy depending on how many other stops you want to make that day....you can Google it for photos to compare to some of your other choices. It's not a decision others can make for you.... but did want you to be aware of the time involved.

San Fernando...
Level Contributor
56 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighthouses

MainerOnThe Go, hello,

Does the half hour time frame from Rt 1 to and from the Pemaquid Point Light also apply in early October?

Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighthouses

Short answer -- "yes" -- within a few minutes give or take... While there may be less traffic in October, it's still a rural, two-lane road.... lots of 45 mph speed limits with reduced speeds in a few spots alog the way.... You won't be likely to end up behind as many RV's and camper-trailers, but you could still find yourself following a local farmer moving equipment or getting in a late hay crop -- or a local contractor hauling gravel.... With luck you might cut the half hour down to 25 minutes or so, but doubt you'll be able to cut it back much more than that....

San Fernando...
Level Contributor
56 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lighthouses

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lighthouses

don't forget Bass Harbor Light!

we did a tour of this coast back in 2003 which now seems such a long time ago but the memories are as clear as if it was last year! During our 10 days we did Nubble, Pemaquid (it was lashing with rain and I remember spending a lovely hour in the coffee shop/gift shop) and Bass Harbor.

10. Re: Lighthouses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 16, 2013