We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-late afternoon arrival

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
10 posts
Save Topic
Mid-late afternoon arrival

Hi everyone. Our family of 5- we have 3 teenage girls are visiting Bar HArbor for our first time next week. I am trying to figure out our itinerary! We will probably be arriving around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for that afternoon. We will be doing Acadia National Park the next day. Any suggestons/comments are welcome! We have not been able to go on a family vacation for a long time so I would like to make the most of it! Thank you!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-late afternoon arrival

I guess I would use the afternoon to get oriented for the next day. On your way into town, you could stop at the Park Visitor's Center, take a look at their scale model of the Park, watch the movie, buy a map. Then you would still have time to drive the Park Loop Road and up to the top of Cadillac. Just driving it, without stops, only takes 45 minutes or so. That way you wouuld have an idea of what's there and maybe what you would like to see in more depth the next day.

After that you could go check-in, walk around the shops a bit, find a place that appeals for dinner, and have a leisurely meal.

On the other hand, you could check-in right away and then just walk around town before dinner. There is a nice path along the shore in Bar Harbor -- less than a mile long, with the Porcupine Islands and boats on one side, and some summer mansions and hotels on the other. Also, if the tide was right, you could walk over to Bar Island on the exposed sand and gravel bar.

2. Re: Mid-late afternoon arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor