We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

My husband and I will be visiting Bar Harbor for the first time in June. We are going to be a little price-conscious, not pinching pennies, but if the food is just as good at one restaurant as another, we would pick the less expensive. We aren't really into "fancy."

I have read a lot of restaurant reviews and looked at some restaurant websites; some give price ranges and some don't.

We will be in the area for two lunches and three dinners. Here are some restaurants/take-outs I am interested in: Beale's Lobster Pier, the Lobster Claw, Stewman's Lobster Pound, Thurston's Lobster Pound, Jordan's, Route 66, Log Cabin. Any picks among these?

Also, the following three advertise early-bird specials: Island Chowder House, Poor Boys, West Street Cafe. Any favorites/un-favorites among these?

Or, what else would you suggest? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thurston's Lobster Pound
Thurston's Lobster Pound
1,304 Reviews
Bernard, ME
Jordan's Restaurant
Jordan's Restaurant
1,539 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
West Street Cafe
West Street Cafe
1,555 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Is anyone welcome to eat at College of the Atlantic? Do they get many tourists or locals? I'm a local and had no idea one could eat there.

As for Jordan's Pond House and Testa's, be aware that neither are inexpensive. A bowl of lobster stew at Jordan's Pond House is now over $10. But you can get a pot of tea and two popovers for about 7 or 8 dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan's Restaurant
Jordan's Restaurant
1,539 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Testa's Restaurant
Testa's Restaurant
806 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

My wife and I travel to Bar Harbor every year, its our favorite place. While we havent tried some of the more expensive places, here are some food places we really enjoyed:

EPI -- A sandwich shop on Cottage St. These sandwiches are great after a long hike (or to pack for a hike). Reasonable too. Try the 'Precipice' sub. We dont like the pizza here though. For great pizza we go to....

Rosalie's Pizza -- We try to get their pizza at least twice every visit. Typical pizza prices ($10 and up). Love it. Good pasta and calzones too.

Miguel's -- Mexican. Its tucked away near a public parking lot in the center of town. At first you think the prices may be a bit high for mexican food ($8-$12) but its SO worth it. Truly excellent food.

Gayln's -- When we decide to have a nice sit down dinner, this is the place. Moderate pricing ($15-20 per entree) but the food is delicious.

Trenton Bridge Lobster -- Its the place with the steamers before the Trenton Bridge onto the Island. Yes we make the drive because the Lobstah is THAT flippin good.

Restaurants that we will not visit again:

Maine Street -- We used to like this but last time we went it was disappointing. Its the typical fried seafood place and it just didnt feel like we were getting our money's worth.

West St Cafe -- Similar to Maine St. Food wasnt memorable and our money better spent elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Rosalie's Pizza
Rosalie's Pizza
1,052 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Just to let you know that Miquel's is no longer a restaurant in Bar Harbor. It is now called Season, A new American Kitchen and is no longer a Mexican restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Restaurants that we will not visit again: Maine Street --

Ditto. Very forgettable.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Miguel's is gone? Thats too bad.

Is the new place worth checking out?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

The new restaurant in Miguel's spot is Seasons - "a new American kitchen". It's worth checking out. But it isn't Mexican.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

acadiafan: "Miguel's is gone? Thats too bad.

Is the new place worth checking out?"

See the 10 April entry in this forum under "a new restaurant..."

Miguel's went into decline two years ago. The Acadia Corporation tried to resuscitate it but gave up and changed to the bistro-type Seasons.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
palermo,maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Jordans for "blues" is a must during your stay. Epi on Cottage Street has great pizza and sandwiches. I have eaten the during "early bird" at the Island Chowder House and the food was good. Also, you'll find great pastries and bread at the Morning Glory Bakery and good Thai food at the restaurant across the street. Dinner is expensive at the Jordan Pond House, but lunch is affordable, and was very good.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan's Restaurant
Jordan's Restaurant
1,539 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Morning Glory Bakery
Morning Glory Bakery
357 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond House
Jordan Pond House
2,386 Reviews
Seal Harbor, ME
Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

I'm the one who originally posted this question. Our trip was last week, and we loved Bar Harbor! Even though it was rainy and/or foggy almost the whole time we were there, we still got to do almost everything we had planned. We'll be back!

I wanted to thank everyone for the restaurant suggestions. They were great!

Here are the places we ate (our motel had breakfast so we didn't eat out for any breakfasts):

Chart Room - this was the most expensive meal we had in the Bar Harbor area, but it was wonderful and the view was great.

Thurston's Lobster Pound - we decided to try something other than lobster for this meal and maybe we should have had the lobster. Yeah, I know, it was a lobster pound, why didn't we have lobster?? Anyway, it was a fun place to watch the lobster boats, etc.

West Street Cafe - we went for the early-bird special (till 6:00 pm) and the food was great. I had a seafood pasta dish and I don't remember what my husband had. Then we walked around town for a while and came back to the West Street Cafe for dessert and coffee. The blueberry pie was very good.

Jordan Pond House (in Acadia National Park) - the first time we tried to go, we couldn't even find a parking space (we were driving but I'm pretty sure the bus goes there). We came back at 11:00 the next day (seating started at 11:30) and no problem. The food is expensive, so we ate light. I had lobster stew (my husband had seafood chowder), popovers, and lemonade. I loved the food - the lobster stew was really full of lobster meat and the popovers with butter and strawberry jam were yummy - but I think my husband would have preferred something more substantial. They weren't serving outside because of the weather, but it was nice inside. Unfortunately, there was no view other than fog!

Poor Boys Gourmet - we went for the early-bird special here also(4:30 to 6:00 pm). They had several entrees to choose from. I had apricot chicken, and it was very tasty and had some nice accompaniments. We sat on an upstairs porch which was very pleasant.

The last day, we were going to go to Rosalie's for pizza for lunch, but our boat trip in the morning was canceled because of the weather, so we left before lunchtime. We did walk by Rosalie's one evening and the aroma was wonderful. We will have to do that the next time.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Chart Room
Chart Room
1,415 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thurston's Lobster Pound
Thurston's Lobster Pound
1,304 Reviews
Bernard, ME
West Street Cafe
West Street Cafe
1,555 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond House
Jordan Pond House
2,386 Reviews
Seal Harbor, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
303 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Connecticut
Level Contributor
168 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Price-Conscious Visitor, Restaurant Suggestions?

Thanks for the followup about the restaurants. We loved Thurstons lobster when we went. It just seemed to be must tastier than what we usually get. Could be seawater they boil it in or something. I'm sorry to hear about the fog for you. That happened to us also when we went to BH 2 years ago. That's why we're planning on going back this year so that we can actually see what it looks like. I'm starting to get worried that it might not happen and maybe we should plan another vacation. It seems to be such a strange wet year for the east coast weather.