We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

Traveling to Maine at the end of July/early August and will be spending three nights in Bar Harbor at the Bayview. Three couples are traveling together so we've reserved one of the townhouses. My question to the forum is whether there are restaurants that offer 'takeout' (I don't want to spend my vacation cooking) or upscale grocers where I can buy food/snacks? Is there a good local liquor store as I am sure some cocktails will be in order... Since the six of us don't get to travel much together we want plenty of reasonably quiet time to relax and catch up and it sounds like many of the Bar Harbor restaurants will be very busy this time of year.

Also, we plan to spend time in Acadia and in reading the forums, many people recommend having a picnic in the park. Is there a good place to grab food for a nice picnic?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
954 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

We do take out all the time in Bar Harbor. There are some that specialize in take out but most of the regular places will put together an order to go for you especially if you call ahead. Hannafords is the big grocery store in town. They have just about everything you would need. There are also a few health food stores in town.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

There is also The Cottage Street Bakery and Morning Glory Bakery, on Rodick Street, which will put together a lunch for you. But your best bet is definitely the Hannaford grocery store on Cottage Street. There is a liquor store in a little shopping plaza, just off Cottage Street before you get to Main Street. Hannaford also sells wine and liquor.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

If you are coming through Ellsworth, you might stop at Rooster Brother, on Main Street right by the river. Good deli, good coffee, a nice wine selection, lots of chocolate.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,645 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

I don't remember its name but there is a great little sandwich shop on the main strip (same side as Galyn's) where they put together a terrific box lunch: great sandwiches, chips, etc. You can order the night before and pick it up in the morning. We did that for our ride home because we didn't want to stop for crummy fast food along the way. There was also a very good wine store on the way to the restaurant, Havana, but on the opposite side of the street. Great selection and they even had the wine the bar tender at Havana recommended and we loved.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

Thanks all! Looks like there are some great options. Hannaford will be a definite stop...

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

The sandwich shop is Downeast Deli (used to be called Not Quite the Corner Bakery) close to the corner of Main and Cottage. The wine shop (Butterfields) has closed and is being replaced by a military surplus store (weird).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

I think the poster means the wine shop that is right next to McKay's. That's still there, I think. House Wine.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,645 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

Bonnie, yes, that is the one I meant. Glad to hear it's still there :)

seymour
Level Contributor
61 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

I just also wanted to point out that there is a nice place on a busy intersection of the main street ( down town) and Desert st. that has a happy hour and some very nice appertizers for a good price.

10. Re: Where to buy groceries/picnic supplies in Bar Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor