We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopover from PA on way to Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
stopover from PA on way to Bar Harbor

We are soon traveling from PA to visit Bar Harbor for the first time. It will be an 11-12 hour drive for us which we don't want to do in 1 day. We are looking for a place to stay/visit for a day on our way there and possibly on the way home ,too. Something about 5-6 hours from Bar Harbor. Possibly in New hampshire? We would arrive around noon and so would have several hours to walk around the town/area. Any suggestions would be great.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopover from PA on way to Bar Harbor

While I do my drive from PA straight through in one day (10 hours from the Lehigh Valley with two short stops), I would consider one of the southern Maine resort towns for a stopover. Look into York Beach, Old Orchard Beach and Kennebunkport. They are all about 5 hours from Bar Harbor. Each is a little bit of a drive off of I-95 which you will be on there but I think any of three would meet your needs.

Lexington, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stopover from PA on way to Bar Harbor

Portland ME or Portsmouth NH are both nice small cities with good restaurants and lots of accomodations. They might be cheaper and have more availability than the the beach towns at this time of year. If you want a beach town Kport would be my choice. My experience is that Southern ME to Bar Harbor would be maybe closer to 4 hour----of course, highway vs. coastal route, summer traffic, construction, etc. all enter in. Enjoy your trip Bar Harbor is wonderful!

3. Re: stopover from PA on way to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor