We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

We are in bar harbor now and wanted to take a tour to see puffins. I read some bad reviews about one of the tour operators. Has anyone gone in June? Is there more than one company that does the puffin tours in bar harbor? Any advice? Thank you.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

Going to see puffins out of Bar Harbor is somewhat of a crap shoot. Bar Harbor Whale Watch runs daily whale and puffin tours. There are some puffins out on an island or two that that BHWW passes. So you can see them from the boat but binoculars would be strongly recommended. I must admit that I have never been on one of their Puffin cruises.

If you really want to experience puffins, I would strongly recommend Bold Coast Tours out of Cutler, Maine. That is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive upcoast from Bar Harbor. We have done it as a day trip from Bar Harbor a couple of times. It is an early (very early) start but well worth it. Alas I checked out their website and all trips are full through June and July. Their trips take you to Machias Seal island where there is a large breeding colony of puffins, razorbills and murres. You go on island and out into a bird blind and you

are just feet from the puffins. A wonderful experience but as I said, it looks like they are booked solid for this year.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

I've seen Paflyfisher's photos. So I guess I have to believe that there truly are puffins. But, in my heart, I think they are a mythical bird. You do realize, right, that they are about the size of a robin and not the size of a penguin? The ferry, on route from Monhegan to Port Clyde, once took a detour on a very warm July day to circle an island that is a puffin breeding ground. All we saw were puffin decoys.

By all means, take a boat tour. But do it to enjoy the view of Acadia from the water. It's awesome.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
793 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

bonniemaev is referring to Eastern Egg Rock, located in mid-coast Maine. I've been there, I think in July or August also and saw tons of puffins. It is a protected breeding ground and tours to see them leave from New Harbor, Port Clyde and I think Boothbay Harbor. They are adorable!

Do get out on the water. It's fun and you never know what you might see, seals for sure!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

Thanks everyone for the info. We definitely will be taking some sort of boat tour. Just not sure now if we should save trying to see puffins for another trip.

If anyone has done a puffin/ whale watch tour from bar harbor this month I would love to hear from you.

5. Re: Has anyone taken a tour to see puffins in bar harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 21, 2013