We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

We finally decided to book our first anniversary trip. Since we married in Vermont last year, and honeymooned in our beloved Riviera Maya, this year we decided to enjoy autumn in a totally different way. We booked a room in the Ocean Front Lodge. Neither of us has ever been to this area. However, both of us have been to Cape Cod and Nantuckett. We are only staying two nights, so, we want to hit the highlights.

We booked a room in the Ocean Front Lodge on the third floor. Is there any room that is better than another?

Last but not least, are there any must sees or must dos in the area?

THanks in advance!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Suspect you'll find Bar Harbor a different experience than either Cape Cod or Nantuckett. Depending on how late into the "autumn" you're going to be here, some of the seasonal businesses and attractions may or may not be open. But, not to fear, the local scenery is worth seeing in any season -- and if you're here early enough, everything may still be open and operating. The "must see' list for just a two-day stay generally focuses on the scenery and experiences of Acadia National Park. I'd check out their website to see what catches your eye -- but the highlights for most folks include the Park Loop Road (great ocean scenery), Sand Beach (worth a stop even if it's a chilly day), the summit of Cadillac Mountain, a stroll around Echo Lake at the Jordan Pond House, and, depending on your interest, a carriage ride or bike ride on one of the Acadia Carriage Trails or maybe a hike.

I''d definitely stop at the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center on Rt 3 on your way into town and talk to the staff there -- tell them you have just two days, talk to them about your likes and dislikes, and let them help you make the best use of the time you have in town. It's enough to scratch-the-surface but certainly not enough to see and do all the area has to offer.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Thank you! Yes, we want to hit the highlights at Arcadia. Your list is a big help.

We will be arriving the first week in October and are hoping there will still be some vibrant fall color to add to the existing beauty.

We are considering stopping in Newport, RI on the way home. Somehow, I have a feeling, it will pale in comparison.

Thanks again!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

I think Mainer said all I could, but in two days drive the loop in Acadia, rent some bikes or go kayaking, eat lobster, and shop in Bar Harbor.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

First week in October should provide some color along the coastal region, although, if it's a typical year (if there even is such a thing), the greatest color changes may be a bit inland.... but even early color can be a real treat.... Good that you've already booked your room though -- early October is considered prime-time for folks to visit Maine for foliage viewing...

By the way -- no "r" in Acadia.... Continuing to use it is an unintentional way to really irritate some of the natives.....

flora il
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

We have booked our 35th anniversary trip in Sept and I just thank Trip Advisor for this forum. I am so excited, and learning so much from the replies...It has been a life long dream to see Bar Harbor and all the helpful hints are wonderful. Thank You all..........

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Would love to know how your trip turns out -- if you're so inclined, please come back to the Forum and post a Trip Report for us when you get home -- will help us help others with their trips....

Tampa Bay area
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

We will be staying in the area for a week! How much time do you suggest to spend at Acadia (we are not big hikers) and what other adventures outside the park would you recommend? We love to drive and explore! Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

DennyP -- You may get more sugestions/ideas if you post this question as its own item because some folks here will have check the original post, made their suggestions and moved on -- that said, I'd offer the following:

-- We're not serious hikers either, but we still can easily spend a week in the Acadia/Bar Harbor area without getting bored... think about:

-- driving the Park Loop Road with the mindset of devoting enough time to really enjoy its features, not with the mindset of how quickly you can get around it.... find spots to stop and just sit on the rocks, watching the waves, listening to the surf, and enjoying the fresh air (that's part of what Acadia is really all about).

-- taking the walk (not really a hike) along the trail at Jordan Pond House...and a cool, tall lemonade and a popover afterwards

-- spending a day investigating "the quiet side" of Mount Desert Island, including visits to Bass Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor, etc.

-- book a trip with the Lulu Lobster Boat and see how the lobster that ends up on your dinner plate is regulated, caught and handled between the ocean floor and your table

-- drive over to the sometimes-forgotten part of Acadia -- the Schoodic peninsula for an even quieter, less crowded experience -- the open ledges at the end of the peninsula offer views different from those on Mt Desert Island.

-- if you really want to get "off island", take the drive east along Rt 1 to the small downeast town of Lubec and cross into Campobello Island, Canada to visit the International Park that is home to the summer house of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Just remember to bring along your passport so you can get back into the US after your visit. It's about two hours, one way, from Bar Harbor to Lubec, but you'll get to see Maine blueberry barrens and glimpses of coastline along the way. Coming or going between Bar Harbor and Lubec, take a slight detour off Rt 1 to travel Me Rt 182 between Franklin and Cherryfield -- it's an official "Maine scenic highway" and will give you some great woods-and-waters views...

-- and, a general thought -- stop at the Acadia National Park visitors center on your way into town, tell the staff there that you're non-hikers but want suggestions for making the best use of your time -- they'll have lots of good ideas for you..

Tampa Bay area
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Thanks Mainer! Will post separately as you suggest!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Sees and Dos - Staying at the Bar Harbor Inn

Thanks to all. You can count on my review when I return.

Maineronthego, Thank you for pointing out my misspelling. We have an "Arcadia University" in my area. It is on my daughter's long list, so it has been a word said and typed quite often. I would never want to insult the frequent flyers. : )