We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with a toddler

Houston, Texas...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hiking with a toddler

My husband and I are taking a trip to Bar Harbor Maine (staying near Acadia in a cabin) and are very unfamiliar with the area. (We are from Texas).

We are staying Memorial Day weekend for a little over a week. We would like to do a little bit of hiking with our daughter (strapped to our back). Is there any area of Acadia that this will be acceptable?

Also what else is there to do around there with little toddlers? She is almost 2 years old. Also if there are any links of things to do with children please send me that direction if this question is already answered.

Thank you so much.

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with a toddler

Answer to your hiking question depends really on how capable and comfortable you are to hike with your toddler on your back. At the easiest you have the carriage roads for a walk along scenic gravel roads. And there are plenty of hiking trails that have mininal elevation change or require any kind of true "climbing" over rocks, etc. At the extreme are trails like the Precipice and Beehive that you must not try with a toddler on your back. So while I can't recommend any particular trail without knowing what you are comfortable with, I don't think you'll be overly constrained and will find most areas to "acceptable".

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
932 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking with a toddler

We've been going to Acadia since our daughter was 6 months old. When she was around 2 we would walk the carriage paths. They were flat enough for her to walk if she wanted to as well as being easy for my husband to put her on his back in her backpack and carry her. We really liked the carriage path by Little Long Pond. You walk up just a little way and you come to a boat house with a small beach next to it. Depending on how warm it is kids love to either swim or put their feet in the water. We always found tadpoles and minnows which our daughter loved. We also hiked parts of some of the easier trails. We found we were able to go up Gorham Mountain as far as the plaque on the mountain with her on our backs. Wonderland, on the other side of the island, is flat and easy to manage with a child either carrying or walking. If you go at low tide kids love what they can find in the tidal pools. Sand Beach was was a favorite as well as Seal Harbor. Sand and things on the beach to discover. We would outfit our daughter with her own little fanny pack, hat, juice pack and food (goldfish or pbj) so that she felt like she was a real hiker. That encouraged her to do a little more walking on her own. There is a nice playground in Bar Harbor on the far end of town and killer ice cream.

Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with a toddler

I'm interested in this topic too so thanks for asking!

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with a toddler

I live here and have two children. When they were little our favorite things to do are:

Got to Echo Lake to swim, Hike Ship Harbor, Wonderland, and South Bubble Trail, go on Diver Ed's boat tour...great for kids. Kayak with my smallest on my lap on Long Pond. Go to the town band concerts on Monday and Thursday nights. Go to Sand Beach. Go to the Village Green and find other kids to play with. Go to the MBI Bio Lab's touch tank and see the sharks, and don't forget a stop at the Town Hill Playground...my favorite. :)

5. Re: Hiking with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 22, 2013