We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries back to Portland?

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Topic
Ferries back to Portland?

I will be on a bike tour leaving from Portland, heading north to Bar Harbor and possibly beyond. At this point it will be one way by bicycle with the return to Portland using some kind of motorized transport.

One thought is to ride to Bangor and either catch a bus or rent a vehicle for the trip back to Portland. But that seems kind of boring.

Is it possible to take ferries all or part of the way back to Portland? Remember we will have bicycles and can fill in gaps by riding. Basically I just need to get back to Portland in a day or two. Assuming we have most of the day we can do 60 miles by bicycle.

It would just be nice to come back a different route even only some of it is different from the route north (basically Route 1).

Is this plan possible?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries back to Portland?

No, I'm afraid that's not possible. The only ferries along the coast of Maine go out to islands and then back to the same port on the mainland.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries back to Portland?

Thanks, Sort of what I figured but it does not hurt to ask.

3. Re: Ferries back to Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:43 pm, June 17, 2013