We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth

I'm the one who's posted a couple of times about our trip to Maine and Nova Scotia. We are planning to spend 2 nights in Bar Harbor and 2 nights in Nova Scotia before flying out of Halifax. We are taking the ferry on a Thursday over to NS. We can either take it at 8 am or 4 pm. I'm having a hard time deciding which time to take it over. If we go at 8 am, we'll have more time in NS but less in BH. If we take it at 4, then it's the other way around. The other thing coming into play here is we are going to be turning in a rental car in BH so if we take the 8:00 ferry, we will have a very early start in order to turn in the car and get to the ferry before it leaves. Also, if we take the 4 pm ferry over to Yarmouth - 3 hour trip - rent a car when we get over - do we need to plan our first night in Yarmouth or drive out a little ways first. Need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth

It's going to be complex either way (but then you already know that). Were it me, I would try to turn in the BH auto the afternoon/evening before and arrange for transportation back to BH and to the ferry terminal. I say this for two reasons: (1) Yarmouth is no prize; I wouldn't spend any more time there than necessary, and (2) with the time change (BH is Eastern, NS is Atlantic), the 4 pm ferry won't arrive in Yarmouth until 8 pm local time, which is a bit late to get a car, hit the road, etc.

There are taxis in the BH area. If the Island Explorer shuttle is up and running when you are here, it has one route to and from the Trenton/BH airport area. Wherever you are staying may be able to arrange for or provide transportation to meet your needs. (It never hurts to ask.)

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth

Great information - thanks!