We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
922 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

I've been picking up snippets about construction on 1A between Bangor and Ellsworth. We will be driving into Bar Harbor on 9/10 and we have always taken I-95 to Bangor and then down Rt. 1A.

Is there still construction? Are the delays long? Should we bail off 95 in Augusta and take Rts. 3 and 1? I should add that right now we are just looking for the quickest route and not necessarily the most scenic (we've already driven much of Rt 1 from Kittery to Princeton).

Thanks.

Ed

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

RE: jstevens1 query: Yes, Exit 113 (on the north side of Augusta) puts you right on Rt. 3. Rt. 3 joins Rt. 1 on the edge of Belfast; then both stay together until Ellsworth. Rt. 3 then continues to MDI and 1 heads east to Lubec and to Campobello, NB.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

RE: jstevens1 query:

yes. Take exit 113 (just on the north side of Augusta)---that puts you on Route 3 toward Belfast. On the edge of Belfast, you will join Rt. 1; the combined routes will take you to Ellsworth. In Ellsworth, Rt. 3 continues south to MDI/Acadia/Bar Harbor; Rt.1 continues east to Lubec and to Campobello, NB.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Another route you can take if you are willing to sacrifice some time for great scenery is to jump off at Gardiner to make a connection with route 226 to Route 17. Take 17 across to Route 90, then cut across to 1 where you turn north to catch Rockport and Camden.

I was on Route 17 last weekend and it goes through some absolutely gorgeous country.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Ok Bear with me and grab a map, because I can drive it, but directions and rt #'s are not my thing. I'm pretty sure that you pick up Rt 1 on the way out of Belfast. I'm almost sure that 3 & 1 are the same for a while? Anyway that will bring you into ellsworth (high st), where you pick up Rt 1a south to MDI. It's called the Acadia Highway.. so I'm pretty sure you're not going to get lost!!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

It's actually not 1A south into MDI, but instead Route 3.

Routes 1 and 3 split at that big traffic light in Ellsworth near the McDonalds. 1 continues to Downeast, Hancock, etc. and Route 3 takes you rigght into Bah Hahbah.