We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia - Battery Island - access from Vinalhaven?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Acadia - Battery Island - access from Vinalhaven?

I'm planning a trip to Vinalhaven to stay with friends. We have a rental car and would like to see Acadia and spend the night nearby before driving up to Nova Scotia. Does anyone have suggestions?

Does enyone know of a "perfect" place to stay in this scenario in the $200 range?

I'd like to know about access to the Battery Island part of Acadia from Vinalhaven. Also, after leaving Vinalhaven, what is the traffic like driving to Bar Harbor in late July? Is there a car ferry from, say Bar Harbor to Halifax?

Thanks for your time.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia - Battery Island - access from Vinalhaven?

I've never heard of Battery Island as a part of Acadia. The only island I know that is part of Acadia is Isle au Haut. I don't know of any part of Acadia that is accessible from Vinalhaven.

There are hundreds of places to stay in the $200 range in the Acadia area. Perhaps if you give us an idea of what "perfect" means to you in this context, we could be more of a help. Cottage? Bed and Breakfast? Luxury Inn? On the water upscale hotel? Motel close to ferry?

The traffic along Route 1 from Vinalhaven to Bar Harbor in late July will be very congested. Driving through Camden will be especially difficult.

There is not a car ferry from anywhere to Halifax. The only car ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia is to Yarmouth, the southern tip of Nova Scotia. The Cat ferry leaves for Nova Scotia some days from Portland, other days from Bar Harbor. You can drive north from Bar Harbor, into Canada, and to St. John, New Brunswick where a ferry will take you across the Bay of Fundy to Digby, Nova Scotia.

Austin
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia - Battery Island - access from Vinalhaven?

Thank you so much for your response. I re-posted a corrected inquiry.

3. Re: Acadia - Battery Island - access from Vinalhaven?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 01, 2009