We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt or outrigger?

Which Tumon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
7 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt or outrigger?

My family's going to guam on the last week of april for a vacation. which is a better hotel to stay in, Outrigger or Hyatt? Which has better rooms and a better pool? I have 2 boys, 12 and 9 year olds.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

Thank you all for the information. Now I fell informed for a one night stay in late May.

Joe

Piti, Mariana...
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

chavalaSantaFe-

I am sorry that you visit was dampened by your hotel experience! I wish that your hotel manager would have done more to make up for you inconvenience? I remember calling the hotel only to be told that the renovations would not effect the hotel guest, what a bummer! You should write a letter stating that you don't feel like you got what you paid for!

Guam, USA
Level Contributor
436 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

Guam is tacky, like Cancun? Where else have you been on the island aside from the hotels in Tumon and the spa?

Have you been to Chamorro Village? To Two Lover's Point? To Ritidian Beach? To different sites in Umatac and Merizo? How about Talofofo falls? Offroading in the Menenggon Hills? Have you visited some the old caves from the military occupation days? What about Cocos Island and Leo Palace? Have you tried visiting and eating at a Fiesta?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

I should have said Tumon is tacky like Cancun (although it's not nearly as nice). I go thru Guam as a stopover on the way to places more interesting -- Bali, Australia, Philippines....

All I care about is getting over jetlag and having a good massage and some pool time. Guam is good for that.

Linda, who I was answering, is also on a stopover.

I actually stayed 2 days this time, and did some diving. A big waste of time. You guys have killed off all your coral. How sad. I have no interest in seeing the rest of the island. If this offends you, oh well! This is my opinion. Rant and rave all you want.

Piti, Mariana...
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

I guess you could say that I am going to rant and rave a bit here??? Readers can chose to stop reading from this point on, but I want to reassure any open minded optimistic traveler that Guam is a interesting place like Bali, Australia, Philippines....or any other place you would go to in the world!

Everyplace has its good and bad. I like to focus on the good when I am vacationing. I like to keep and open mind so that I may take in a new culture and way of life and not get deterred from visiting other parts or places a certain destination has to offer. No place is perfect, but every place has some thing unique to offer as far as culture and people. I can only speak for my self when I say that I go on vacation not only to get some R&R but, to also create a learning experience for my family that will last a lifetime!

People, culture, religion, food, historical sites....the list could go on and on!

it would be sad to focus on the bad and tacky things that you will bump into on the way and miss out on the neat and beautiful things that are still waiting for you.

So if you want to know if Guam has anything to offer, the answer is YES!!!! Museums, the BEST diving in the world(Marianas trench-deepest waters in the world), melting pot of culture and food, fiestas, historical sites(great US Military history, water sports, boat charters(deep sea fishing), Biking and hiking trails, waterfalls, cultural dinner shows, night markets, weekend flea markets or just some nice simple R&R on many beaches including Cocos Island. This list can go on and on.

Thank you for letting me share my 2 or should I say 10 cents with you all

PS...I am not from here, I have lived here for a long time, just as I have lived at many other places. I am able to see the beauty of a great relaxing Island. I just love this slow paces Island lifestyle!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

I am probably more on the wavelength of Chavala.....I agree that Guam is a good stop over spot but there are more exotic places to spend time. I lived in Guam for 8 mo. many years ago and it does have it's own beauty. My purpose in asking questions about the properties however is to find a pleasant place-and get feedback from recent travelers. I am a mature traveler who would like to enjoy a pool sans lots of kids. I too am looking for a little shopping, swimming, massage and quiet meal-enroute to my destination. Thanks for all the information.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

I just returned from Guam and ended up staying the one night in transit at the Hyatt. Had a wonderful stay. Yes, the hotel is still being renovated but we were treated to one of the upgraded ocean view rooms at it was very nice. Yes there were kids in the pool but not too many when we were there so it was not a bother. We rented sun chairs with an umbrella on the beach ( a $30 rip off from a private concessionaire) but we played in the water most of the day and heck we were right on the beach! I noticed that there is a camp Hyatt for kids in the lobby area and it looked like they were catering to local families so that might explain why there are usually so many young kids in the pool. The hotel was very accommodating and allowed us to check in very early- a big plus plus and staff was very cordial.The property is geared to the many Japanese tourists visiting complete with wedding chapel for the many marriages and honeymoons taking place there. I don't think you will be dissapointed if you stay in one of the refurbished rooms! Also, would not reccomend the spa....just not up to par.

18. Re: Hyatt or outrigger?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tumon