We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

Which Pago Pago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
indianapolis
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

I am considering moving to Pago Pago for 2 years to work as a physician assistant at the hospital. I would love ANY stories, advice, input, resources about the area. THANKS!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

I am considering the same, I am an RRT.... Any info would be appreciated, Shannon

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

First, the hospital, LBJ is located in Fagaalu. You'd most likely want to live nearby the hospital or on the Western side of the island. I guarantee the drive to work will be one of the most beautiful commutes you'll ever have.

Although I'm not sure I can comment on the hospital conditions, the hospital, in and of itself, is certainly not your typical Stateside facility. It's somewhere between a hospital/clinic/triage center. LBJ has a new CEO, and I think he's a very competent individual.

As far as the area, well, I live here and love it. The weather is fairly constant, and of course warm and humid. However, the island is beautiful. The people are friendly. Living situations vary drastically. Some Stateside transfers opt to live in typical Samoan housing (cinderblock houses without air conditioning), while others prefer to pay more for Stateside-type luxuries. You can check out rental prices on samoanews.com and read the classifieds.

We have a couple of Stateside restaurants... KFC, Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut, etc. However, restaurants and shopping are fairly limited.

If you have other questions, let me know.

Pago pago, American...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

Just browsing and saw your post. I'm from East Chicago and graduated from IU, Bloomington.

Lived here for 20 years. My wife is a nurse at the ICU. You'll be fine. Its American with the distinctive, if slightly 3rd world, Samoan culture.

Fast food, the stores have (almost) everything and you'll perhaps appreciate not being media bombarded all the time.

Jumping off place for other Pacific destinations

From pago pago,

John

Le Auva'a
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

Be prepared to take a step back and enjoy the fruits of life. In Samoa you will experience all lifes trials and tribulations without the mayhem and drama that is part of everyday life in States. No major crimes in Am. Samoa Example one murder every two years, most major assaults are caused by alcohol amongst people who know each other, but that's every where.

Be prepared to take advantage of the neighboring islands; Samoa; Fiji; Cook Islands; Tahiti; NZ and Australia. In Samoa you can walk not only the streets at night but the entire island without fear.

People are easy going and family oriented; if you have an open mind set you should have a pleasant lifetime experience. Excellent for kids to grow up most people save and gain valuable experience in their chosen profession.

Fabulous Las Vegas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

Real estate - is there none for sale in American Samoa? I can't find any info at all

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

Real estate is generally not for sale. Land is communally owned by the Samoan people. By law, non-Samoans cannot own communal land. Thus, 99% of the non-Samoans rent from their Samoan counterparts.

There is, however, a very small portion of land that is considered "freehold" land. You have to be incredibly lucky, and connected to find these properties for sale.

7. Re: Advice for an American moving to Pago Pago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:14 pm, June 19, 2007