We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Living in Gaum

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Cost of Living in Gaum

I have an job offer which will require me to relocate to Gaum for one to two year. Want to know how the cost of living compares to livining in Chicago, IL or any other big city in the mainland United States.

Mariana Islands
Level Contributor
21 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

In my opinion, everything is more expensive than even metro cities of the mainland. Average rent for anything decent is $2K plus. Gas is $5 per gallon. Groceries are not only outrageous, but the selection of food is horrible, and eating healthy is a struggle, as fresh produce is hard to come by. Basic toiletries and clothing are double to triple the price I was used to paying stateside. I do order things from Walmart.com and receive care packages from home. If things were just more expensive that would be fine, but selection is terrible too. I am not trying to be a downer, as Guam is beautiful and the people are very nice, but be prepared for reality.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Hi! Have you moved? I am visiting Guam within the next quarter. The hospital they are building is most likely the same hospital that I am searching doctors for. Thus I would like to know how you are finding the whole Guam experience. Thanks.

Guam, Mariana...
Level Contributor
1 post
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

I'll be headed to Guam for a minimum 2 year job at the Naval base as a civilian so I think I have the shopping angle covered but can anyone tell me about the cost of a decent and safe apartment somewhere CLOSE to the Naval Base?

Vancouver...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

I may be relocating to guam , I am wondering if there is a place to ride dirt bikes on the island .

Groton, Connecticut
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

We r going to guam and I have done a lot of research . Oh and r u gonna be working on either bases? Because I've been told that will be where u save money on food at the commissary. But m bringing my family of 6 and I'm rally looking forward to those after work relaxation time!

Groton, Connecticut
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

Hi I'm not a nurse but I am an MA. Let me know if u need one soon. We should be there NLT 04july

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

I am returning to Guam after many years away. If this is anything like what it used to be, groceries were not expensive as long as you adopt island style eating habits. That means, learning to enjoy rice and local vegetables. If you eat the same as you do in the states, yes it is expensive. But I recall the huge prawns I would get and other nice vegetables which cannot be found in US except very rarely.

18. Re: Cost of Living in Gaum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Guam