We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Districts in Guam

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Districts in Guam

I was looking at reviews of hotels in Guam, and I'm wondering which district to stay for one night since we'll be arriving from an international flight from Japan? We will be heading out the next day for Truk Lagoon, so we only need a hotel for one night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Travels,

Christine

Guam, USA
Level Contributor
467 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Districts in Guam

Hafa Adai ChristineLuv2TRVL,

I recommend staying in Tumon, which is the central tourist area. Hyatt would be my first recommendation. Other reputable properties include Hilton, Marriott, Outrigger, Westin.

There are also more affordable options available.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Districts in Guam

Thanks so much!! We decided to stay at the Marriott. Do you recommend any activities, restaurants, shops in that area?

Thanks again,

Christine

Guam
Level Contributor
64 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Districts in Guam

Hi Christine!

The Marriott is one of the older hotels, but still nice. It's quieter than most of the other busier hotels and it's on one end of the Tumon district. The action happens on the other end, but it's only about a mile walk to "Treasure Island," where there's lots of shopping and restaurants. If you're looking for something close by, Jamaican Grill is across the street from Marriott and is a popular, local favorite restaurant. A must try :) I recommend the jerk ribs and chicken with a tall glass of Jamango tea. If you're looking for a fancier place to eat, Red at the Acanta Mall, down the strip about a couple blocks, has some really good steaks. Hope this helps :)

Guam
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Districts in Guam

Although Guam is a treasure. Not sure where Treasure Island is, Pleasure Island runs from SandCastle to the edge of DFS Galleria (DFS houses Planet Hollywood - I've lived on Guam for many years and always enjoy going there.) Stay clear of HardRock Cafe.

Guam has several good restaurants - so depending what your preference in food.

Proa Good for - ambience, casual, homemade desserts, good food and not in a rush.

Steak- check out Outback

The Marriott has a very nice - buffet - I'd prefer that than going to Jamaican Grill.

If your on your way to Chuuk - you might as well stock up on snacks, goodies and sundries at Guam's Kmart I"m sure the are open 24 hrs.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Districts in Guam

Hi Guys!!

Just got back from my week in Truk. And, I even followed all your advice b/f I read it. We did have the breakfast buffet at the Marriott. Went across the street to the Jamaican Grill. I had the chicken & ribs - super YummO! Then, we walked down to the Kmart for some snacks. Luckily though, the Odyssey had tons and tons of food. breakfast, lunch, dinner, and loads of snacks after each dive. We ended up giving all our snacks we had brought to the staff.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice. I would definitely go back and spend more time in Guam and in Truk!

Happy Travels,

Christine

6. Re: Districts in Guam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 30, 2009