We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in American Samoa

Renton
1 post
Save Topic
Living in American Samoa

I just got a job offer which would require that I move to American Samoa for two years. I have never visited anyplace in the South Pacific. What is Samoa like? What problems would I likely face there? I will be moving there alone. I currently live in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States.

Pago Pago, American...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in American Samoa

You should check out the local news at www.samoanews.com

Also, if you are planning to work for the government, I suggest that you ask your prospective employer for the contact information for your predecessor so that you can contact that person to obtain additional advice.

Ewa Beach,, HI
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in American Samoa

Talofa,

It might be a little difficult getting adjusted to the weather. American Samoa is hot and humid. It will probably take up to maybe 6 months before your body can get use to the temperatures in the daytime, evenings are beautiful and cool. Tradewinds are always present, nature's air condition. You should be prepared for a change of lifestyle...although it is an American Territory. It can be a very educational 2 years for you if you would take off one hat when you leave the Pacific Northwest and exchange it for another when you arrive in the islands. Ia Manuia.

Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in American Samoa

What kind of job did you get in Samoa?

I sure need a change from Alaska. I am orginally from Samoa but haven't been back for 25 years. I would like to move away from the stress of the U.S. all though the stress in not so bad in Alaska.

Just wanted to know what kind of jobs are available in Samoa.

Rosita

california
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in American Samoa

My parentes retired in there early 50's and returned back to the islands. They raised me and my siblings here in California and I've only visted Am. Samoa once when I was 13 and didn't appreciate the authenticity and diving culture Samoa still carries. I am now 28 and I can't wait to visit my parents. There are no words to explain the beauty Samoa has since I last visited....our deep culture and beautiful tradition are still strongly a way of living there. If your new to the islands, having an oppertunity to start a career there would not only be exciting but would feel like an extended vacation. Take Care...Marie Pulu

california
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in American Samoa

Also debdebdeb, if your a male or female, i assure you, you'd fine your future wife/husband there....there are plenty of beautiful and fine people there!!!

Marie

Idaho
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in American Samoa

Hello! I am thinking of moving to Samoa in order to participate in a beautiful land, and the wonderful peoples of Culture there.

I believe you will be very fortunate to live there!

I will be investigating the cost of living and availability of small housing. The Blessing is there for you!

I look forward to learning more about Samoa and welcome with gratitude, any knowledge shared.

Thank You!

Billie J

NY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in American Samoa

I had the furtunate opportunity to do some work in American Samoa. It was a wonderful experience but it does take some getting used to. they have a very unique culture. Religion is very big there. The People of Amer. Samoa are very nice and giving. If you are a male please be careful becuase the female population there can be a tricky thing to figure out (very young girls looking older then they are) and the foriegn born females from Independent Samoa are looking for husbands so that they may some day leave the island. For females just be as careful as you would be here in the states. If you do get involved with any Samoan remember that they are big on family (which means you will marry the family when you marry Samoan. That is not a bad thing but if you are a super private person you may want to take a second guess. It is a buetiful place with incredible people. The weather does take some getting used to and the traffic can be bad so always get an early start. especialy during the school year. and while there if you get the chance go visit the Independent island of Samoa (Western Samoa, AKA Upolu)

miami area
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in American Samoa

What profesion you do, I wish to live in Am. Samoa too, but have to wait till I retire that will e about in 2 years

rochester
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in American Samoa

Lucky you! We just returned from a 2 week vacation in Samoa. The weather is hot - you are only 14 degrees from the equator! American Samoa is a great blend of Polynesia and America. People still live in fales yet eat at KFC or McDonalds. Clothes are cheap, food is a little more expensive. No Walmarts but there is a Cost-U-Less! Beautiful lagoons and breathtaking vistas. Rivals the beauty of Tahiti and Moorea! Only stinky place is over by the Star Kist tuna factory. One whiff is all you need! But that is contained to a very small area! No damage on Tutuila from the recent cyclones. Lots of Americans all over the islands - almost the feel of Hawaii. Lunch at DDW (Don't drink the water - a refernce to Samoa not Amer Samoa!) we saw US Coast guard people and lots of ex-pats.

miami area
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in American Samoa

I do like ultralight airplanes and thinking to fly there too. Are there any light airplanes? On map all I see is one big airport.

Get answers to your questions about American Samoa