We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?

J D
Earth
2 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?

So, my wife and I want to have a nice ceremony this December with family from differing sides of the globe, so we decided on Hawaii.

We want to do it on our anniversary, so we are set in the middle of December, only I hear the weather can be a bit tricky this time of year.

Is the Waimanalo beach a good or bad idea come mid-December? The only photos I can ever find are of the good weather there, so it is hard for me to get any kind of idea of how bad it can get/what it may look like if we get caught in the rain.

Any ideas?

We were looking to work with an agency that seems to want us to go with Ko Olina, but we don't really like *any* of the restaurants near there and the beach is middling to us.

What do you guys think?

3 replies to this topic
St. Louis
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?

My husband and I go to Waimanalo every year, either in December or January, and 90% of the time the weathers great! The beach is beautiful, and during the week pretty much deserted, save for a few people.

There are plenty of houses you can rent for you and your family scattered throughout Waimanalo too, but I would start looking soon, they get rented pretty fast.

I hope you find the right place for your wedding, and have a great time.

J D
Earth
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?

Thanks for the reply!

Do you mind a follow up?

When the weather isn't perfect, how bad is it?

Is it insane, you don't want to be out there, bad? Or "grab a couple umbrellas and you'll be fine" weather?

Edited: 10:41 pm, September 16, 2013
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?

Waimanalo is on the windward side. That means it gets the brunt of the trade showers. That is why everything on the side is SO green!! That said, the trades are generally short in duration, more of a mist than anything. Happens in the morning and early evening hours. It is winter in the tropics and we can and do get fairly large storms but no way to predict when or if that will happen while you are here.

Ko Olina is on the leeward side. It gets less rain that any other part of the island. That is probably why your agent suggested it. IMHO not as pretty as Waimanalo but drier!!

As far as your last question, the answer can be both!! When we get a storm, it's head for cover time!!

Edited: 3:29 pm, September 17, 2013
Reply to: Wedding Location Advice - Waimanalo Beach in December?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted