We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?

Trying to decide between this or Paradise Cove (or maybe neither would allow for enough time) for our last night before our 11:30pm departure from Hawaii.

Thought Chief's Luau might be nice (we're leaving on a Sunday night) since we'll have already spent the rest of our stay on the West Oahu, and since we have to be out of our accomodations by 11:00am, we could spend the afternoon touring other parts of the island and finish at Sea Life Park for the Chief's Luau.

I'd like to be back at the car rental drop off by 9:45pm - what I'm trying to figure out is if there is enough time to drive to the airport after the luau, OR if it is possible to leave a bit early to beat the rush (maybe there is no rush to get out, but I'm worried it could be a gridlock parking lot situation and may take longer than expected).

It looks like a 40-45 minute drive depending on the route (not sure if it's necessary to avoid H1 around 9pm on a Sunday, but 72 to H3 seems to be an alternate route if that might be better?)

Hopefully it works out so that we can end our trip doing something fun like this, but maybe it's not worth taking the risk of cutting our airport arrival close. I feel like if we could leave a bit early (8:30/8:45) it would be fine time wise, but not sure if that's frowned upon or not.

3 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?

I looked at the schedule for the Chiefs Luau and it says the show is over by 8:30pm. It takes about 40-45 minutes to get from there back to Waikiki and then another 30 minutes to get to the airport. Taking H1 at that time of night will be fine. The H3 would be way out of your way.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?

Thanks good thing I checked - google maps says it is just 38 minutes straight to the airport from there (I don't need to stop in Waikiki for anything as we have a rental car, but maybe you have to go through it?)

That might be cutting it a little close, 40-45 min. seemed fine but wasn't banking on an additional 30 minutes on the commute.

Nevada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?

Of all the ways you could end your trip, well ... Consider searching for online reviews.

Reply to: Chief's Luau - enough time before a late flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted