We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding reception at beach

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Wedding reception at beach

Anyone has experience to have wedding reception at Waimanalo beach park? I am dreaming of having table set-up and food delivered to the beach. Is this permitted and practical? Thanks.

Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding reception at beach

I don't know if you have had your wedding yet, but I am getting married in August of 2007 and it will be a destination wedding. I have done TONS of research on getting married in the Waimanalo area and have found the residents guard their peace and quiet to the extreme. They have no problems with ceremonies happening on the beach, but when it comes to hosting a reception afterwards, that is a BIG NO! I called the Waimanalo Beach Park office and they told me under no circumstances are there to be any receptions on the beach or in the park area...although you can host a picnic. Hmmmm...who's to say you couldn't host a picnic in a wedding dress??? Anyways, I've found that the dream of going from a beach wedding directly into a reception area is just not reality in Waimanalo. The Shriners, Sea Life Park and some ranch in the area does allow receptions.

I hope this helps...and good luck! (if you still need it)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding reception at beach

The issue regarding a "reception" vs "picnic" has to do with concerns over the commercialization of a public park. There have been quite a few disputes, suits and fines levied throughout the State about private wedding businessess exploiting public beach lands.

So, if you bring your own food & cake (remember alcohol is in theory not legal), limit decorations and don't try to co-opt all the tables or best spots, it would be accepted. It you have it catered or it looks too much like a formalized affair, that is considered as "commercial" and a no-no.

If it is on a weekend, have you thought about having it at Bellows Beach ? Being a military installation, the same guidelines would not necessarily hold true. And, if you have any form of military connections you could arrange to rent one of the cabins for use as a changing, staging and private guest rest room.

Further, if you are at Waimanalo Beach there may be more than a few campers and homeless around (particularly on weekends), with whom you will have to compete for space and quiet.

A better choice might be at Waimanalo Bay State Beach Park, just up the road, which is larger, limits weekend campers and does not allow homeless tent cities.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding reception at beach

I would say, whether or not it is permitted is not the issue. The real issue is whether you will make local people irritated that you have taken over a public area with your private occasion. (I wouldn't pick Waimanalo, or anywhere I might get stinkeye on my wedding day.)

Instead, why not go with an outside facility that has an area dedicated for private parties? If you want a ceremony on the beach that is one thing; a reception should be held in a place that has a system for reserving the table area or pavilion.

I'm pretty sure that drinking alcohol on a County or State beach is prohibited in Hawaii, isn't it? Everyone does it informally, but when it comes to a formal affair then you might find it's an issue. Something you might want to check on before you settle on a spot.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding reception at beach

Personally I would have my wedding at Waimanalo Beach and then use the Kom A'ona Inn Bed and Breakfast for the reception. They also have great changing facilities! Here's a great link for weddings:

hawaiiweddings.com/TopLevelPages/Services/se…

5. Re: Wedding reception at beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:03 pm, October 11, 2008
6. Re: Wedding reception at beach

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, December 12, 2008
7. Re: Wedding reception at beach

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:26 am, February 03, 2009
8. Re: Wedding reception at beach

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 03, 2009