We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfing west shore

temecula, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
surfing west shore

I'm planning a trip to the makaha/waianae area in late Oct. I'm a beginning longboarder. Are there any decent spots for my ability that time of year around there? I don't really want to put up w/the crowds of Waikiki. Where should I rent a board?

Kailua
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: surfing west shore

Thank you BeyondNback! You’re right. My only concern was safety. Sometimes visitors don’t realize how dangerous certain ocean conditions can be.

I have posted on other topics besides illegal vacation rentals…..I like helping people and supporting Hawaii’s tourism.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: surfing west shore

interesting reads, the thing to get out of this is that Oahu has a lot of hawaiians at all the beaches, much more than you will see at the other islands in general, and they take their ocean sports very serious. Respect is the key word here, always give the general right of way to the locals- that doesn't mean you have to back off every wave but just don't plant yourself on the peak, always stay out of the way of people making a living such as the surf lessons people, and for gawds sake keep an eye out for the young kids and senior surfers of the local families. I have found they only get after the complete goofballs.

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: surfing west shore

Surfing is a rather unique sport in that many surf spots have a territorial nature. For the non-surfer, it hard to understand, but there is a hierarchy and unspoken rules to surfing the better quality surf breaks. This is true for almost all high performance surf breaks in the world.

I think the key for beginners or new surfers to the islands is to go to the lesser known surf breaks and learn the ropes. Attacking breaks like Sunset or Ala Moana during prime conditions with all of the locals out may not be a wise choice. Even the world’s top professional surfers will show respect to the local hot-shots when surfing their surf breaks.

Waianae
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: surfing west shore

...A great spot for you would be Poka'i Bay or "Rest Camp". Take caution for even "safer" spots can be dangerous, consult with the lifeguard on duty and take time (at least 10 minutes) before paddling out to observe the safe areas i.e.; channel or deep area. Know where the general line-up as well as high reef and shallow areas are for Poka'i has a couple of these areas. Other than that I'd travel further south towards Honolulu about 20 minutes to Kalaeloa/Barbers Point, the surf here is less consistent during October, but for the beginning surfer is sure to provide lots of fun- the crowd is mellow here :) Be safe and always remember, when in doubt, don't go out! Aloha! -Kaimana Pine

Goose Creek, SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: surfing west shore

I know this topic is a little old, but I was looking at some areas on the Westside to stay, and this topic is very helpful. Last time my wife and I went there, we were a little unsure about it. I hadn't read much on it and we were going to Yokohama anyways. So it was a little intimidating to go on the Westside where the beaches are jam packed full of locals. Being a big "haole", (6'2" 240 to be exact)I wasn't sure what kind of attitudes I would meet while there in Hawaii. Not that I was worried to get my arse handed to me, but I just don't like to be hassled. I work with drug pushers, murderers, and delinquets everyday, so I just like to relax when I am away from work. Anwyays, we stayed away from those beaches mostly though, and went to Waimea Bay, Makapu'u, and a few others.

I did get a few strange looks at those beaches, but once they saw I knew what I was doing, they were cool with me. Plus, I spoke to a couple folks as well, so that eased the tension. And it helped that I worked my way inside, just like I do at home. I hate when people immediately jump into the water and straight for the take off area. To me, you have to wait your turn just like everyone else.

Anyways, after reading what I have here, I think I'll try to hit up the beaches around Makaha. I'm sure if I treat it like last time, everything will be good.

16. Re: surfing west shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 21, 2009