We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best vantage point for Ka'ena sunset photos?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best vantage point for Ka'ena sunset photos?

I will be visiting in early June and am planning a late afternoon hike to Ka'ena Point. Any thoughts on which access trail would offer the best photo opportunities for sunset? I don't want pictures of just the sun, but rather something interesting in the foreground as well, like a rocky shore, or maybe tidal pools, or anything other than just open water. From what I've read, coming from Waianae might be the nicer hike, but I can't tell if the setting sun will be visible or if the angle of view will be blocked by the coastline.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best vantage point for Ka'ena sunset photos?

The sun will set in the NW in June.

So other than right near the point, you can't see the sun setting from the west side.

The hike from the west side will give you more photo-ops than the hike from the north side.

hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/I-3_I-4…

I've done the hike only once from the north side.

Several times from the west side. This is far more scenic.

Once you get to the point there is no difference. Get there well before the sunset to see what you might want to take photos of.

At the point there are some rock formations and tide pools.

The mountains kind of quit about 1/4 mile from the point, though there is still some slant from the ocean to the mountains.

There will be some twilight in June after the sun sets. It will be fairly similar to Orlando. Orlando is 28.5N latitude. Oahu about 23N latitude. Maybe about 30 minutes. So you would have to do some of the hike back in the dark so take flashlights.

Anywhere on the north shore would be great for sunset or twilight photos in June.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best vantage point for Ka'ena sunset photos?

Agree, the views from the west approach are more stunning, though the north approach does not disappoint. I really like my cactus pictures (in Hawaii, no less) taken on the north approach. The pools, the sea arch, and the coastline of the west side are dramatic. Depending on how long you stay, a flashlight might be a useful accessory.

3. Re: Best vantage point for Ka'ena sunset photos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, January 19, 2017