We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waianae beaches in april???

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
waianae beaches in april???

how rough is water in april and are there good places to snorkel around the hawaii princess condos, thanks for the info.

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: waianae beaches in april???

glad u had a good time, yes the waves should be calmer by april but u never know. yes plan to be on the go most of the time but wanted out of the city is the reason for picking hawaiian princess, the other choice was the royal kuhio in downtown waikiki but wanted to stay in a more rural area, have rented a car for the 8 days we are going to be there. what places did u visit and did u attend any lauas while u were there. wondering which one to book. thanks for info.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: waianae beaches in april???

take a look at this article

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…bz04a.html

cheers

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: waianae beaches in april???

Went to Germaine's luau - it was fine; if you read under another posting at the beginning of this board you can read my comments on it.

We went to Waikiki, Dukes, International Market Place, Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium (Wed. Sat. Sun. only for cheap souveniers - cheaper than Inter. Market); Hanauma Bay, part of the east side shores; North Shore and Halewai, Wailua(?) Falls on the north shore, Dole Plantation; climbed Diamond Head for a sunrise tour; Chinatown, Honolulu Harbor; Pearl Harbor. Plus various other smaller things -- were on the go a lot! Germaines and Paradise Cove luaus aren't very far from the Hawaiian Princess Condos - about 20 min. or so. Polynesian Cultural Center would have been a very long drive to get there and back from that location - probably 2 hours at least one way, depending on traffic.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: waianae beaches in april???

bump

you all should read this

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…bz04a.html

Hawaii
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: waianae beaches in april???

There is a struggle between the commercial fishing industry and the visitor industry on the west side, and it is only one of many past, present (and future) struggles. One side wants to catch fish and the other wants to look at fish. The best thing would be for both factions to find a common meeting ground, and come up with a solution that is amenable to both sides. I don't think this is going to happen, because visitors will continue to come and fisherman will continue to be angry, no matter what the two industries and the government works out as a compromise.

The west side has some hot issues. The ongoing military presence is one, the Native Hawaiian Home Lands issues, the growing presence of tourism that has come with the development of Ko Olina. The west side has not experienced a whole lot of tourism in past decades. This is changing, and it is a change that is obviously unpopular with a vocal contingency of residents that have called this area home for generations.

Touchy issues, lots of tension.

My opinion is that the west side (in the lying areas beyond Ko Olina), aside from some businesses, vacation property owners and newer residents from the rest of the country, may not be too interested in welcoming the growing number of tourists that will continue to change the face of this area. Until there is a happy meeting ground over there, which may never happen in my lifetime or ever for that matter, it is going to remain a hotbed of controversy.

Due to the ongoing development of Makaha with it's redevelopment with pricey communities, great golf, good weather and beaches, it will continue to evolve into a visitor destination whether old-time residents like it or not. Home and land prices have seen a huge increase in an area that has always been considered affordable for mid to lower income families.

Ko Olina is a master-planned development that is changing the make-up of the entire west side. Many see this as positive, many probably see this as having a negative impact. Like I said, touchy issue, and one that will play itself out over the coming years. I am only an outside observer, but one that is becoming increasingly concerned for our native population.

I had no intention of writing an editorial on the west side, and I guess that is how it has turned out, so sorry if I have offended anyone.

In answer to the original question, are Waianae beaches ok for swimming in April, yes and no. Ocean conditions can be still be considered unpredictable at this time of year. You'll just have to play it ear and I'd recommend swimming only at beaches with lifeguards.

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: waianae beaches in april???

yes very sad that all the boats run the fish away, modern times alway change things, sometimes not for the best. they will have to decide which one they want the most. thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: waianae beaches in april???

we plan on going to pearl harbor, hiking diamond head, dole plantation, submarine ride, swap met, chinatown, paradise luau, and one of the scenic boat rides, havent decided which one yet. how crowded was pearl harbor when u went? and what day do u think will be the best to go there. they say hike diamond head one weekday. how did u find out about hawaiian princess condos? any other ideas on things to see? thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: waianae beaches in april???

how far is it from hawaii princess to the luau at paradise cove? i think we will go there one week day, monday or tuesday.

Dallas
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: waianae beaches in april???

how far from princess to paradise cove?

Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: waianae beaches in april???

Can someone reccomend an inexpensive rental (that will sleep 4) at the Princess for a 2 to 4 week period?

Also, is it necessary to rent a car to get to/from Waikiki and around the island or will busses near the Princess condos take you to all parts of the island.

Thank you